Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey out there I am looking for any information on how to swap a 4BT into a 1978 Ford F-150 4x4. Right now I have a 351M, NP435 Trans and NP205 T-case, I also have available a C6 trans I could change the tail shaft on to mount the NP205.
I am stationed in CA and wouldnot be able to drive it on the street as far as know but I would like to start and maybe finish the build while I'm here.

I also have a 1979 F-150 2x4 I would like to transplant the body of onto a 1994- 1998 Dodge Cummins 4x4 with a 5 speed. Any Ideas there would be great too. I (the bank) own a 2001 24V 2500 Quadcab 4x4 with a slush box right now but the payment is killing me.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I am stationed in CA and wouldnot be able to drive it on the street as far as know but I would like to start and maybe finish the build while I'm here.
You might be surprised.. I've read a bunch of folks' reports on this site (and others) that the swap in the People's Republic of California is accepted by the CARB. And, IIRC from my days when I held an unlimited Test / Repair smog license out there, as long as the engine is same age / newer than the vehicle (or matches one that was offered the year of the vehicle or later) and you had the smog equipment appropriate for whichever was newer, then it would get through.

The process back then was that you'd go to get it smogged at the local mechanic, it fails because things are modified. Then you go to the state-run referee station where they take a look at what you've got in it, confirm it's legit, then put a new sticker under your hood that allows you to get it inspected (if needs be) at the local mechanic in the future and the stuff to update the fuel type in the registration information. Went through it on a couple of propane conversions I did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swapping a 4bt into a 78 Ford F-150 4x4

Thanks those who have replied but I am still looking for tech help on both issues I wrote about.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Buy a 4bt from a Ford chassis bread van and it will have everything to bolt it in your truck with the 4 speed. You will just need to move your 351/400 frame stands to the 300 six position, drill two holes and drop everything in.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Buy a 4bt from a Ford chassis bread van and it will have everything to bolt it in your truck with the 4 speed.
That is pretty much what I did.

You will just need to move your 351/400 frame stands to the 300 six position, drill two holes and drop everything in.
That is NOT true, at all.
My 400M frame stands required SERIOUS and major surgery.
Nothing lined up - nothing. I had to section about 2" from each stand (they are very short now). They aren't really all that pretty but they do work, and are strong.
I'll be posting some pics sometime tomorrow afternoon if you want tme to, tonight I'll be working until 3 AM.

Also, do a search for "Carl Donica" as he has about the same truck as I do, but we did do things quite a bit differently. I think all of his pics are still up on the Yahoo 4BT group site.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The 4x4 351M/400 series frame stands are 2" shorter than the FE/300 six frame stands. The FE/300 stands need cut down 2" to work, the 351M/400 stands are fine as is, unless of coarse you have different motor side plates than what I've seen from the Ford breadvans.

There are also different thicknesses of the gen1 cummins biscuit motor mount used in these.

·
Registered
854 Posts
the 351M/400 stands are fine as is
Not even close on the '79

I took close measurements before I pulled the 400, I put the crank centerline of the 4BT exactly what it was with the 400 in it (height and side to side).

Even if I raised the centerline a bunch, there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell it would drop in.

Driver's side below:

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
pass side (was a lot easier)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
your frame stands are undoubtedly shorter than those I've done. I also use exactly the same crank centerline and stock 5.5 degree drivetrain angle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts