Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
LOVE it! Nice work. This is the first ever (to my knowledge) instance of someone installing a H151F on a Cummins 4BT.

Which clutch is that? Which bellhousing is that?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
friend now I have a problem I would like to use the original rpm of the truck, how can I make the terminal w of the alternator compatible with the signal of the original tachometer of my fj62
Missed this. There's a company called dakota digital that makes signal conversion boxes for this purpose. You will need to put the dakota digital box somewhere to sense engine RPM (usually reads from the flywheel teeth), then the box converts the signal, to feed the original tachometer. It was a little too complicated for me to make my original FJ60 tachometer work, so I used a tiny tach instead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Missed this. There's a company called dakota digital that makes signal conversion boxes for this purpose. You will need to put the dakota digital box somewhere to sense engine RPM (usually reads from the flywheel teeth), then the box converts the signal, to feed the original tachometer. It was a little too complicated for me to make my original FJ60 tachometer work, so I used a tiny tach instead.
Friend how are you, greetings I wanted to ask you that I had a problem with the engine, I had lost a lot of power when I changed the injectors, they already had considerable wear, now I discovered that the turbo relief valve was open, how can I graduate how many psi that turbo should generate in my 4bt is a hx30w

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
Check with Dakota Digital. They have alternator W signal to tachometer interface units. You may need a remote tachometer that reads off an engine pulley to dial it in. Here's a link to their website. Units cost $99.95.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Check with Dakota Digital. They have alternator W signal to tachometer interface units. You may need a remote tachometer that reads off an engine pulley to dial it in. Here's a link to their website. Units cost $99.95.
Thank you very much friend, I am going to start reviewing what I have to ask to start my tachometer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
LOVE it! Nice work. This is the first ever (to my knowledge) instance of someone installing a H151F on a Cummins 4BT.

Which clutch is that? Which bellhousing is that?
Friend, how are you good afternoon? I have a problem with my 4bt, it has a turbo hx30w, it had bad injectors and it was leaking a lot of smoke, I bought the new injectors and I had the injection pump serviced, then it was generating very little impulse, it was slow it is given more fuel it has a rotary pump Bosch ve4 it is consuming me 1 liter of fuel every 6 km in the city and on the highway it goes 10 km per liter of fuel but I want the impulse to be greater before with the broken injectors when accelerating fully I accelerated super fast but failed

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Sounds like you want the fueling rate needs to be higher. Research VE pump tuning, particularly the full power screw and the smoke screw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sounds like you want the fueling rate needs to be higher. Research VE pump tuning, particularly the full power screw and the smoke screw.
Good morning friend I hope you are very well I would like you to help me with some problems that have presented my engine has damaged me twice the turbo hx30w when traveling more than 5,000 km begins to filter oil and loses a lot of momentum I would like you to help me and closed Much more the exhaust hatch thinking that the turbo is going over revolutions but I do not change anything it is not generating more than 13psi increase the fuel and it does not improve I would like to know how many degrees the pump should be for its operation, the engine has lost a lot of force with this failure

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
Member Eggman probably can help you on the amount of timing for a VE pump. He is running one at around 300 HP with twin turbos. You mentioned you changed injectors. Do they have the correct pop pressure for a VE pump? If they are wrong your timing could be very retarded and performance very poor. If your boost is peaking at 13 PSI under load there is a problem. With proper fuel an HX30W can easily do 30 PSI or a bit more. Now I said under load. In normal driving without much load 6-8 PSI might be all you'd see. Have you done a compression test on the engine? Bad injectors could have caused piston damage. Also, check for air leaks in your turbo plumbing. If the turbo is leaking oil it could be over speeding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Member Eggman probably can help you on the amount of timing for a VE pump. He is running one at around 300 HP with twin turbos. You mentioned you changed injectors. Do they have the correct pop pressure for a VE pump? If they are wrong your timing could be very retarded and performance very poor. If your boost is peaking at 13 PSI under load there is a problem. With proper fuel an HX30W can easily do 30 PSI or a bit more. Now I said under load. In normal driving without much load 6-8 PSI might be all you'd see. Have you done a compression test on the engine? Bad injectors could have caused piston damage. Also, check for air leaks in your turbo plumbing. If the turbo is leaking oil it could be over speeding.
Hello friend, thanks for your help, I tell you that I do not know if the pop pressure is correct in the injectors, I bought them original truck
I check for leaks in the system I load it with 30 psi and there are no leaks
When you tell me that it accelerates too much, it is that the turbo is being damaged by exceeding the rpm of the turbo, right?
I would like you to help me with the data of how much advance the pump should have and the opening pressure of the injectors
I am already worried, two turbos have already been damaged in the same way and oil begins to leak

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
[QUOTE = "Camilo barros fj62, publicación: 1073687, miembro: 132866"]
Hola amigo, gracias por tu ayuda, te digo que no se si la presión pop es la correcta en los inyectores, los compré camioneta original
Reviso si hay fugas en el sistema, lo cargo con 30 psi y no hay fugas
Cuando me dices que acelera demasiado, es que el turbo se está dañando al superar las rpm del turbo, ¿no?
Me gustaría que me ayudaras con los datos de cuanto avance debe tener la bomba y la presión de apertura de los inyectores.
Ya estoy preocupado, ya se han estropeado dos turbos de la misma forma y empieza a gotear aceite
[/CITA]
eggman918

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
Yes, the over speeding is something that can happen when there is an air leak, especially if it occurs suddenly like when a hose should blow off. Another possible issue could be a restriction in your air intake. That could cause pressure on the oil seals if your air filter is too restrictive. Are these turbos genuine Holset units? The super cheap copies on the market are not of the same quality. Has the injection pump been off the engine recently? If so, it may be possible that the drive gear is a notch out of alignment with the cam gear. That also could cause retarded timing. Not sure how to verify the injector pop pressure unless you remove them. Pop pressure is normally stamped on the injector body. A VE pump would be 245 bar, You might not be able to read that on one without pulling it. If they should be stamped 260 bar then they are not correct for that injection pump. The other option would be take them to a pump shop and have them tested. The cost for that is usually very small.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Set up as you are now when making 13 psi boost what are your EGT's and what are you seeing come out of the exhaust pipe?
Also is the waste gate set at the same point as it was on the previous turbo?
Lets start there and see what you have as these are the simplest and easiest to fix, if they are where they should be we can go a bit deeper.
One other thought when your old turbo failed did it come apart internally? if it did you could well have debris in the hot side of your inter cooler.

Reactions: Camilo barros fj62

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
[QUOTE = "char1355, publicación: 1073695, miembro: 14640"]
Yes, the over speeding is something that can happen when there is an air leak, especially if it occurs suddenly like when a hose should blow off. Another possible issue could be a restriction in your air intake. That could cause pressure on the oil seals if your air filter is too restrictive. Are these turbos genuine Holset units? The super cheap copies on the market are not of the same quality. Has the injection pump been off the engine recently? If so, it may be possible that the drive gear is a notch out of alignment with the cam gear. That also could cause retarded timing. Not sure how to verify the injector pop pressure unless you remove them. Pop pressure is normally stamped on the injector body. A VE pump would be 245 bar, You might not be able to read that on one without pulling it. If they should be stamped 260 bar then they are not correct for that injection pump. The other option would be take them to a pump shop and have them tested. The cost for that is usually very small.
[/ CITA]

I checked for leaks in the system I added 30 psi and there were no leaks also the e tested without an air filter and it does not improve this second turbo is original the pump was out of the engine when I bought it that I disassemble everything except the head to change the gaskets and then I installed it at that time the engine was very good the response was excellent then I changed the injectors and some problems started then I had to remove the pump but without removing the main gear to take it to review where they changed a series of internal parts later From that I improve considerably what I would like to review is how much progress it should have to see if I have it too early or late next week I will take it with the injectors to another workshop to check it but I have many doubts regarding the advance because I increase the fuel and the smoke screw and it doesn't improve anything

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Set up as you are now when making 13 psi boost what are your EGT's and what are you seeing come out of the exhaust pipe?
Also is the waste gate set at the same point as it was on the previous turbo?
Lets start there and see what you have as these are the simplest and easiest to fix, if they are where they should be we can go a bit deeper.
One other thought when your old turbo failed did it come apart internally? if it did you could well have debris in the hot side of your inter cooler.
With full throttle and 2700 rpm, the maximum boost it gives is 13 psi I still have no way to measure the EGT through the exhaust pipe, something black smoke comes out but only when pressing the accelerator then it stops releasing black smoke

I closed the waste gate much more than with the previous turbo

Does the timing of the pump have something to do with it being too early or too late on the slide? In the gears it is in the points as indicated in the cummins manual it turns on perfectly the previous turbo generated noises but did not destroy the turbines would have to disassemble the intercooler to check a possible obstruction how many degrees should the injection pump take forward or backward thank you for responding

·
Registered
2,308 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
hello friend I just disassembled the injectors and they have 260 bar stamped all 4 are the same
Now I had 2 that are damaged, they are very old from another engine and say 145 bar but the fuel inlet thread is thinner in diameter than the ones I have

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Look at this video first it shows the process on a VW but it's the same for the Cummins.. This one is in english but you should be able to find something .
this is the search I did setting the ve pumps timing with dial indicator at DuckDuckGo

Do you know the CPL of youe 4BT? that will give you the pump plunger lift you want to set it to.
Hello friend, I checked with another engine and the time was fine, you know that I added more fuel and there were no changes, no smoke comes out of the exhaust, check the injectors and they have 260 bar stamped, I also had some old injectors here but the diameter of the fuel inlet thread It is less than the ones I had mounted

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hello friend, I checked with another engine and the time was fine, you know that I added more fuel and there were no changes, no smoke comes out of the exhaust, check the injectors and they have 260 bar stamped, I also had some old injectors here but the diameter of the fuel inlet thread It is less than the ones I had mounted
It sounds like you do not have a VE injection pump...I am not sure where you should go from here as I have very little hands on experience on other pumps.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts