Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of switching from 15W40 petroleum based oil (Chevron) to synthetic oil....possibly Rotella T6, 5w40. Temps are typically 20F in the winter, up to 75F in the summer. Is this a reasonable oil for these motors? What are other folks using? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Sounds like the grade should be fine. One thing about diesels is the oil gets dirty quicker. Seems like some marine engines use centrifuge type filter systems to help with that, but those are down right expensive. Another option would be a bypass filter setup. With that you could just change the filter and not lose the oil. In theory, synthetic could last for years depending on use. Seems like a recommended test is for acidity. That's probably not as big as it was before ULS diesel. Whether it is petroleum or synthetic, the big thing is keep it clean.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am running Rotella 15w-40 in my 4BTAs, though the temp here in NY is not like what you are dealing with. As Char said clean oil is what you need. Running synthetic allows you to run the oil longer but does not mean it is clean. How many hours a year are you putting on? Realistically, the oil should be changed at least once a year, especially before the boat gets put to sleep. The marine environment is one of the worst for engines. Keeping dirty oil in the pan creates the possibility of acids and moisture that accumulates in the oil to potentially go to work inside the engine. That is why marine engines are to be winterized with oil and filter changes. Kind of defeats one of the advantages of synthetic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I been using Rotella 5W40 in my OM616 for a few years. Coupled with a good battery and glows, it's been starting in all the weathers the Midwest can throw at it.

I don't change it, the engine uses a bit of oil, I just keep it toped up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Go to ,- Goodoil4u.com - follow instructions you will find the best oils & bypass systems on the market! Customer call in hot line answers etc.
Look at various test data , such as 4 ball wear test for oil & impact for grease stability etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I been using Rotella 5W40 in my OM616 for a few years. Coupled with a good battery and glows, it's been starting in all the weathers the Midwest can throw at it.

I don't change it, the engine uses a bit of oil, I just keep it toped up.
Hemi, Years ago I ran a JohnDeer 450 crawling shovel. In my duties I had to flatten out several garbage dumps once a month. I noticed when I did under dusty & ash conditions the oil life was shortened the oil would get dirty & the tractor would start consuming 1/2 qt first couple days then 1qt /day , when I became an amsoil rep and studied into things I found this to be a true caracteristic of dirty oil ! So it behooves us to run clean oil, especially for the good of our engines. I have seen engine torn apart where they did not maintain proper oil change , ugly filthy mess

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dirty oil makes your vehicle consume oil? What's the explanation behind that?

Reactions: Dougal

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hemi, go to, <highwayandheavyparts.com> scroll down to, Reasons for excessive oil consumption, also look at why you should do proper oil change intervals.

·
Registered
98 Posts
https://highwayandheavyparts.com/n-12786-excessive-oil-consumption-explained.html

DIRTY OIL

Dirty oil is a very preventable cause of oil consumption. If the oil is not changed at proper intervals, or proper care is not taken of the oil filter, the oil will accumulate debris that causes the oil passages in the piston rings and pistons to clog. This will increase both oil consumption and wear on engine parts. Dirty oil will wear on bearings, cylinders, pistons, and piston rings. The more these parts are worn, the more oil will be wasted in turn.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bypass filtration is a must IMO based upon the fact I used AMSOIL with dual bypass filtration for 25k miles on the GM 6.5td which is well known too soot the oil almost as soon as it's started with no problems whatsoever.

Then there is the temperature breakdown point that breaks down DINO based oils sooner than synthetics do.

I now use NANO Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) in my oils.

Reactions: Papa

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I run rotella T6 in my 4BT (in central NC) and have for the past 2-3 years. No issues. 10/10, would run again.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Subrutus , love your 2nd amendment ! This is a position I also have long held. We need more of this open bold expression, because it is the TRUTH!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Subrutus , love your 2nd amendment ! This is a position I also have long held. We need more of this open bold expression, because it is the TRUTH!!
I read the article in Tico Times about what they are trying to do down there in CR
don't let them because it never ends.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
PaPa & Char... you guys are the 1st .. other than myself. That thinks . Synthetic oils should last for ever.
SO I sTARTED in the Part's business in 1967 . about 1975 they put Mobil one in my parts store... I hated it . & I told every customer .. no way it can last that long.
GOT ME OFF THE HOOK. BUT Mobil One said . Let the motor run 20K one regular oil . Then swap to Mobil one . Change it once more about 10K OR 15 K .. cHANGE OIL & fILTER .. aFTER THIS ONLY CHANGE THE FILTER & Add a qt. about every 15K . If it's dirty.
......... Then 35 year later I went to work for Chrysler & Their little Cross Fires used Mobil ONE ... But they said change it every 3000 miles.
BS Someone is full of chit...
................... add your commits please .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all. The 5w40 is in the boat 4b. I'd swear it sounds smoother than before. Also just put this stuff in my F350 w/a 7.3 International diesel. I may do my wife's Subaru next. Same oil in all my rigs: how is that possible?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So where in Alaska do you live.
I noticed because it says ... NOT Anchorage.
I've only visited there once .. I sure loved it But not sure I'd want to attempt a winter ..
... & I was amazed at how many young people there in Anchorage .. 12 to 25 year olds.

... & Denial ... 6.3 million ac. & only one road in it ..

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Thanks all. The 5w40 is in the boat 4b. I'd swear it sounds smoother than before. Also just put this stuff in my F350 w/a 7.3 International diesel. I may do my wife's Subaru next. Same oil in all my rigs: how is that possible?
That's what I do too, lol. T6 in the 4BT, T6 in my 6.0 powerstroke. Bummer is you have to buy 10 gallons to have enough for one oil change!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Papitt-/-If you read amsoil website (carefully),I don't believe you will find any place that they claim it lasts for ever! Infact the only time they recommend extending past 25k is if you are on an oil analysis program, where they look at - acidity, remaining lubricity, metal deposits. *synthetics provide better lubrication than Dino oils, because it is cleaner, Dino can only be filtered to a certain point, beyond that is cost prohibitive & * yes it also breaks down sooner! So the ? What is synthetic oil????? All are not equal!! A Co. can list its oil as synthetic if it contains a certain % ( I have forgotten the exact % ), AMSOIL is 100%!!
& they sell in larger quantities than gallons i.e. 10qt,30gal drum.
I have been out of the US for 10yrs & have not kept up on a lot of stuff.
SUBRRUTUS,. What is NANO Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) * ????
GLTHFJ60 ,. What is T6 * ??? Just remembered Rotella is shell, yes.?
What oil would you use for Diesel break in oil ? Is (breakin oil ) of a higher quality than
regular oil & if so, why not all the time
* Portsample . If you look at AMS oil 4ball were tests you will see that their 5/40 is better lub than 15/40 as long as it gives sufficient oil press
* Subrutus , in #12 you mentioned mobile 1! Mobile 1 was an attempt by mobile to copy A.J. Amatuzio's AMS oil which was the FIRST synthetic! What are you putting the Nano into?
* Nature Coast - where is that, & how do you get to read Tico Times? Can you read Spanish
Voting, I am only a resident not a citizen, & unlike the US only citizens can vote.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts