Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planing to swap a 4bt into my 90 F150 2wd AOD. I have heard that the AOD wont hold up to the 4bt so I was thinking of a ZF. However the local junk yard wants $750 for a ZF5 and then I would have to find an adapter. Have any of you kept the T-19 out of the step van? This sounds easier to me. What are the pros-cons of the two?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I choose the ZF for fuel economy and a decent crusing RPM, Check e-bay there was a rebuilder in Pittsburgh selling for 1000.00 w/o a core charge if you can not find one cheaper then 750 I would spend the extra $ for the rebuild with a warranty. I happened to find one w/ small block bell and a tranfer case for 300 even from a 3/4 ton 300 six truck, I got real lucky. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The 2wd ZF's are generally pretty cheap. As in under a few hundred for a good unit.

The Mazda built M5R2 holds up fine too if you don't plan on big power and towing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you are going to spend the time and money, go with overdrive. You'll regret it if you don't. I found my ZF on Craigslist for $350 with a transfercase and clutch hydraulics. They are out there for reasonable prices if you are patient.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have been driving mine with the stock '79 NP435 4-speed trans. A ZF trans is definitely on the list of upgrades. I really don't have any problem driving mine at 60-65 MPH but an overdrive would be nice once in while.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I originally used the t19 in my 1989 F150 2wd swap (3.08 Rear). It worked well but I couldn't economically push it much past 60 mph. I switched to a ford 3 speed with OD. This is not an ideal tranny but it bolted right up, is very light weight, and was cheap. Now I can easily drive 75+mph. I will never pull a trailer with this pickup, I built it for mileage. The overdrive tranny actually didn't help mileage much though. At least I can travel 75 when necessary though.

For my next swap I will use the ZF. 1976 f250 4x4 (4.1 gears)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Fuel economy is important so I guess I will go with a 5 speed. Dustin, is the mazda the 5 speed used in the F150? I don't plan to do much towing at all and I could get a 5 speed out of a 96 150 I 300 relatively cheap.

·
Registered
278 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts