Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally got around to plotting what 20psi boost looks like on a T25 map. Turns out Garrett doesn't think it's a good idea.

But if you only want to run 15psi, it's a great match for these engines. At 20psi I'll let you know how long it lasts.:grinpimp:

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
time for a T28 dougal ? or compound maybe ?
Actually both.:grinpimp:

I'm most of the way towards fitting the first stage of my compound setup. It's a variable vane GT2256V.
I need to perform some internal machining (shift the guide rollers for the variable vanes) so I can clock the turbo to vertical. I've fabbed up the exhaust adaptor neck I needed but still have to mill the faces flat and pressure test.

Once that's up and running, plan is to stick a GT2860 on the back of that and see how it goes.

But first.
I have stronger axles to fit (got axles, awaiting new seals), then intercooler, then I need to buy a little milling machine.bounce

·
Registered
858 Posts
Bumping up an old thread, I just got my 4BD1T and am looking at turbo options. Ideally I would like a He221W or HX30W but they are hard to find and $$ when you do.

I'm wondering if I can change my free float T25 to a Wategated one using a Skyline .64AR wategate housing its got a T3 flange on it. Then putting a bigger T28 compressor wheel in it with the different compressor housing. I know there are lots of options for compressor wheels with Garrett its just mater if it will fit the backing plate and shaft.

Other option is wait for a HX30W or HE221W to show up (hopefully just a rebuildable core to save some money).

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'd ignore the HX30W for now, there are some interesting recent developments in the HE221 and TD04 turbo interchange.
Yeah I saw that post, I have found in the past that its very hard to mix and match parts on MHI turbo's. I am watching that thread though and hope something can be worked out, that HE221W looks like the perfect set up for a mild 4BD. I will have an auto so instant off idle boost is not necessary but I do not want to be waiting for it to kick off ether.

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They have T28's with ceramic turbine wheels.
The one I have, that was allegedly off a skyline, has a steel turbine and aluminium compressor wheel. But, there is nothing to say it hasn't been swapped from ceramic at some point.
Opinions vary on the ceramic turbines, some say they are pressure limited and fall apart if you run too much drive pressure (which correlates to too much boost pressure), others think overspeed kills them and others think excessive EGT kills them and with safe EGT's you can run 30psi boost with no problems.

I couldn't run mine as a single turbo because the exhaust housing mounts with threaded bolt holes and my manifold does too. So I stripped that T28 and built it up with a T25 turbine and exhaust housing. I also used a T25 compressor cover which I bored out to fit the T28 compressor wheel.
This is the DIY T2560 that I run.

The Isuzu 4HE1 turbo has this same 60mm T28 compressor fitted and only requires a simple adapter plate to fit to the T3 manifold. It is my current recommendation for a close to bolt-on Garret turbo which has enough capacity to wind out a 4BD1T.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The one I have, that was allegedly off a skyline, has a steel turbine and aluminium compressor wheel. But, there is nothing to say it hasn't been swapped from ceramic at some point.
Opinions vary on the ceramic turbines, some say they are pressure limited and fall apart if you run too much drive pressure (which correlates to too much boost pressure), others think overspeed kills them and others think excessive EGT kills them and with safe EGT's you can run 30psi boost with no problems.
I have seen the Skyline turbos come with and with out, the R34 had BB turbos as well. I had ceramics on 1jz and was able to run 20psi on them for years no issues with the ceramics, issue was getting them rebuilt.

I couldn't run mine as a single turbo because the exhaust housing mounts with threaded bolt holes and my manifold does too. So I stripped that T28 and built it up with a T25 turbine and exhaust housing. I also used a T25 compressor cover which I bored out to fit the T28 compressor wheel.
This is the DIY T2560 that I run.
Hmm ok, I did look at the GT2560R recently and its got some good atributes plus I can get one for relitivly cheap. Not sure how BB's are doing on old diesel now a days. I worked with the parent company to PDR and all the testing with BB turbos did not prove to be reliable.

The Isuzu 4HE1 turbo has this same 60mm T28 compressor fitted and only requires a simple adapter plate to fit to the T3 manifold. It is my current recommendation for a close to bolt-on Garret turbo which has enough capacity to wind out a 4BD1T.
Yes that is looking like a good candidate. I should see what one will run new since I have yet to find one used. The "rebuilt in China" ones scare me off, I would much rather get a rebuildable core. Im also keeping an eye on the Hino GT2259 since it seems to fit fairly well and is easy to adapt as well. Have not looked at each to determin what one would be a better fit for the 4BD.

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have seen the Skyline turbos come with and with out, the R34 had BB turbos as well. I had ceramics on 1jz and was able to run 20psi on them for years no issues with the ceramics, issue was getting them rebuilt.

Hmm ok, I did look at the GT2560R recently and its got some good atributes plus I can get one for relitivly cheap. Not sure how BB's are doing on old diesel now a days. I worked with the parent company to PDR and all the testing with BB turbos did not prove to be reliable.

Yes that is looking like a good candidate. I should see what one will run new since I have yet to find one used. The "rebuilt in China" ones scare me off, I would much rather get a rebuildable core. Im also keeping an eye on the Hino GT2259 since it seems to fit fairly well and is easy to adapt as well. Have not looked at each to determin what one would be a better fit for the 4BD.
The turbo I have was journal bearing. Essentially just another T28. It was 60mm, 60 trim compressor and 53.8mm turbine with 0.64 A/R housing. I would rather have journal bearings than ball bearings in a turbo. Journal bearings put up with a lot more abuse and rebuild is far cheaper if they ever need it. I have a BB T28 here I got secondhand. Nothing on it was re-usable except the turbine housing.

The Hino GT2259 is another excellent sized turbo. Only fitting issue is the T3 flange is rotated 90 deg from normal. At least one member here is running one.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The turbo I have was journal bearing. Essentially just another T28. It was 60mm, 60 trim compressor and 53.8mm turbine with 0.64 A/R housing. I would rather have journal bearings than ball bearings in a turbo. Journal bearings put up with a lot more abuse and rebuild is far cheaper if they ever need it. I have a BB T28 here I got secondhand. Nothing on it was re-usable except the turbine housing.

The Hino GT2259 is another excellent sized turbo. Only fitting issue is the T3 flange is rotated 90 deg from normal. At least one member here is running one.
Yes I too would rather stay away from BB turbos in this application. I did find a few 4HE1 turbo's in a quick search that looked ok so I may go that route, the Hino turbo seems a bit more scares. I would have less issue welding two T3 flanges to gether than making the custome one needed for the 4HE1 turbo but both are easy. I know forsure I need to replace the stock turbo on my 4BD1T, its like new but I know in my application it just will not work.

I may get one of the cheaper 4HE1 turbos I have found and rebuild it and see how it performs.

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I have read it and most other threads about fast spooling med power turbos all the way up to compund set-ups. I think I have it narrowed down to the Hino GT2259, 4HE1 GT2860 or the HE221W. Would really like a HE221W but they are very hard to find.

I'm not going to bother trying to do anything with the stock turbo at this point.
They are all very solid choices. Either of them will get you close to or able to use all the fuel a stock pump can deliver. With a good intercooler of course.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts