Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a turbocharged Perkins 6.353 out of 760 combine that Im attempting to put in an 83 k3500 single cab gmc and was wondering where do I find the front balancer, what can I get it off of. Also as far as the flywheel and clutch or flexplate for an auto, where and what kind do I use for that. What kind of Bellhousing adapter do I need. I’m open to any transmission option but was thinking a 1000 series Allison would be cool. Any knowledge about the swap is appreciated a lot. It’s a lot to figure out , especially for a 17 year old. Thanks- Karl

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Perkins used to run some large lawn mowers, had a CI bellhousing that went from 6-354 to GM bolt pattern. Look at large lawn mower shop, common name, just forgot, red equipment. Haven't used recently.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Is that a 6.353 or 6.354? Here's a listing for a used balancer from a marine company. Lot of those engines were used in marine applications. Perkins 6.354 Harmonic Balancer Perkins 6.354 Harmonic Crank shaft Balancer Dampener [Perkins 6.354 dampener] - $125.99 : Used Boat Parts I suspect the engine uses either an SAE3 or SAE2 bellhousing. Finding a flexplate to mate it to an Allison might prove a bit challenging. A friend of mine had one in a 1972 F250 but that was a manual transmission. If you could find a unit that was used in a truck with one of the older Allisons you might have a shot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Is that a 6.353 or 6.354? Here's a listing for a used balancer from a marine company. Lot of those engines were used in marine applications. Perkins 6.354 Harmonic Balancer Perkins 6.354 Harmonic Crank shaft Balancer Dampener [Perkins 6.354 dampener] - $125.99 : Used Boat Parts I suspect the engine uses either an SAE3 or SAE2 bellhousing. Finding a flexplate to mate it to an Allison might prove a bit challenging. A friend of mine had one in a 1972 F250 but that was a manual transmission. If you could find a unit that was used in a truck with one of the older Allisons you might have a shot.
It’s a 6.354, I have a Bellhousing off a Jacobsen reel mower

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Perkins used to run some large lawn mowers, had a CI bellhousing that went from 6-354 to GM bolt pattern. Look at large lawn mower shop, common name, just forgot, red equipment. Haven't used recently.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toro large lawn mowers use a Perkins to GM bellhousing.

Ed in CO.
I believe they were Jacobsen hr-15 and toro parkmasters that had the 4.236 Perkins and new venture 4 speeds in them, not sure what the gear ratios were for the transmissions, if anyone knows that would be nice information to have

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The ones I had seen were 420's or 465's, 4500's have a slightly different bolt pattern, one can drill and tap the old bolt pattern in the front of the 4500 case, best to use empty case or oil will come out bottom holes, then need to mate bellhousing with trans before mounting to engine.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ones I had seen were 420's or 465's, 4500's have a slightly different bolt pattern, one can drill and tap the old bolt pattern in the front of the 4500 case, best to use empty case or oil will come out bottom holes, then need to mate bellhousing with trans before mounting to engine.

Ed in CO.
So as far as clutch set up do you think I should run the old flywheel and take it to a machine shop that could drill an tap some holes for a clutch. Or do you think I could find an automotive flywheel that would work

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
With the flywheel it depends if it was and industrial design as they were set up for a coupling not a clutch.
One thing to check would be run out from the crank to the gear box spigot bore. Years ago there was a bit of a problem on International trucks where the housing bolts would loosen and the housing would go out of alignment. If out you need to remove the dowel pins, realign the housing then ream the dowel holes and fit oversize dowels.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Just need to find a pressure plate with that bolt pattern, or drill new pressure plate holes in the flywheel.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you think a clutch for a 12v or something around that power level would be a good one to use

1 - 20 of 46 Posts