Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just wondering if anyone has any info on getting they’re teach working in a 96’ F-150 that had the 300i6. I’ve got the Dakota digital cluster and would like to run that tach with the 4bt if possible. 4bt with an M5OD-R2. I know there’s a couple threads out there but not really finding the info I’m needing. Thanks in a advance👍🏻

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
If your cluster has the Dakota tach then I would think Dakota will have the answer for the pick up required.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
If you have the Ford Cummins transmission adapter plate, it has a port to read the tach off the flywheel. If you look at the top of the adapter plate there is a 3/4"x16 threaded hole for a sensor. Dakota Digital sell a sensor 620008 which is designed to link to their system. However, their sensor is threaded M12-1 so you'd need an adapter for the 3/4"x16 hole. It's odd, because they used to sell one that was 3/4". That type sensor would give you the most accurate tach reading. Might contact them and find out if they offer the little adapter or they may still have sensors that are 3/4". That was a universal size for tach sensors. Wouldn't be a hard part to make. Just need a 3/4"x16 hex plug and bore and tap it to M12x1. Grainger's has the hex plug part GRE110008 for a whopping $1.43. You need an 11mm or 7/16" drill for the center hole and an M12x1 tap. If you know a friendly machine shop they may have that tap.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am driving the tach off of the poles in the alternator with a tach designed for that signal. That was the best option I had 17 years ago.

Dakota builds some little boxes that translate the different types of signals from Hall Effect type sensors to other formats and allows you to calibrate the signal. It might be worth calling them and asking if you could drive your tach off the alternator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts