Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any used any of the tachs that pickup a signal from the alternator. i have the Autometer Sport Comp Diesel Tach. It has a probe that straps around the alternator. Is this tach going to work good?

I really wanted to reuse my existing crank sensor, however im not using any of the existing computer and wiring from the 92 dodge. and the reason i went with the sport comp tach is because it matches all my Ultralite gauges. i dont believe I can rewire it to work with the crank sensor either.

Thanks

Joe

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
It should work about as well as any alternator-based tach. You'll need access to a photo tach or some other way to calibrate it initially, but lots of folks here have used alternator-driven tachs with good results.

If you want to use the crank sensor to feed it, you *might* be able to use one of the interface modules from Dakota Digital: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ategory_ID=287/home_id=59/mode=cat/cat287.htm

Nothing there specifically mentions what you're attempting, so might call them. And.. Might be cheaper to buy a tach that matches and can take the crank sensor feed.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have been using one on my truck for 8 years ,works like a charm ,you'll need a photo tach to check engine rmp and adjust the screw on the tach to set rpm.

Scott

·
Registered
808 Posts
Has any used any of the tachs that pickup a signal from the alternator. i have the Autometer Sport Comp Diesel Tach. It has a probe that straps around the alternator. Is this tach going to work good?

I really wanted to reuse my existing crank sensor, however im not using any of the existing computer and wiring from the 92 dodge. and the reason i went with the sport comp tach is because it matches all my Ultralite gauges. i dont believe I can rewire it to work with the crank sensor either.

Thanks

Joe
I use the same Autometer on my Carryall. Works fine. Ditto on what Scott says. You will need a strobe tach or something to calibrate the Autometer.

Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you know your gear ratio and transmission ratios, couldn't you just dial it in close enough? Calculate it based on speed, tire size and gears?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you know your gear ratio and transmission ratios, couldn't you just dial it in close enough? Calculate it based on speed, tire size and gears?
Thats what I was planning to do untill I can find someone with a strobe tach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts