Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run my stock Jeep Wrangler tachometer with my Cummins swap. I would like to use the Dakota digital product. I think it would give the best results since it produces a tach signal for a 4 or 8 cylinder motor and I have the Jeep 2.5L 4 cylinder.

I want to use the one that works off of the "w" terminal of an alternator, but alternator (Delco 12SI) doesn't have one. My 12SI needs a rebuild anyway so I was thinking of upgrading to one with the W terminal. Does anyone know of an alternator that would mount on the 4BT and that has this "w" terminal?

If I decide to use the tooth counter sending unit, would I have to drill into my dodge transmission adapter or could I unscrew the little cover plate on the side of the flywheel housing and make a little adapter to count the flywheel teeth from the side vs. right on top? This cover plate is for flywheel inspection I believe. I also think it's for the use of a barring tool to manually turn the motor. Would that location work for the sender?

Regards,
Mark

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I want to use the one that works off of the "w" terminal of an alternator, but alternator (Delco 12SI) doesn't have one. My 12SI needs a rebuild anyway so I was thinking of upgrading to one with the W terminal. Does anyone know of an alternator that would mount on the 4BT and that has this "w" terminal?

Regards,
Mark
From memory that "W' terminal is connected to the terminal that is directly in front of it. I might be able to confirm this if I still have one laying around.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If I decide to use the tooth counter sending unit, would I have to drill into my dodge transmission adapter or could I unscrew the little cover plate on the side of the flywheel housing and make a little adapter to count the flywheel teeth from the side vs. right on top? This cover plate is for flywheel inspection I believe. I also think it's for the use of a barring tool to manually turn the motor. Would that location work for the sender?

Regards,
Mark
I'd love to hear an answer to this question. I've been looking to use the stock tach in my durango. anyone know what type of output the sensor puts out? i think it has 2 leads on it, not sure what they are though. Is it a passive sensor? or is one power, the connector ground, and the other one a signal output?

I plan to eventually get my 'scope out and try and look at it, but i haven't gotten that far.

I was planning on using my stock CPS (crank position sensor) and just drilling a hole in the adapter. I do want to try and use one of the access holes if i can though, instead of drilling a big hole in the side of the adapter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've been looking at tack options also. I saw a gauge cluster on flea-bay the other day. It was for a big GM diesel truck. It stated Cat or Detroit I think. I had no idea what kind of driver it had. I also wondered if a gas motor tack would work with a home made driver. Here is what I was thinking. (Any electronics guys here?) There are 8 holes on the crank pulley. If a hall effect pickup was placed on the front side of the pulley it would generate 8 pulses per revolution. That is what a V8 gas motor makes if it has dual fire coils, meaning the plug sparks on the exhaust stroke also. I doubt the signal from the hall effect pickup is strong enough for the tack to pickup. A simple amplifier circuit could be added to the pickup to do the job. I do not like the extended scale of the gas tacks for the diesel motors. 8000 rpm is a little high for diesel. If a tack from a single fire V8 was used it would read at twice the actual rpm. (2000 rpm reads 4000 on the tack). Since I am working with a 62 Chevy pickup I would love to find a dash cluster from a 62 GM big truck that had the factory tack. (No luck yet on that one) This still would not address the boost and EGT gauges.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
anyone know if CS style GM alts have a W terminal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really would prefer to keep the delco series alternators on my motor for the simplicity of mounting and integrating to the vehicle. I read the article on converting a dodge ram alternator and it seems like a good option, but wouldn't there be more complications (like wiring) with integrating it with the vehicle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts