Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

TDI into RAM 1500

6K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  ryanjames170 
#1 ·
i am dobbling the idea of either a 4BT or a VW TDI into my RAM 1500 and i wanted to know some stuff about the TDI

1. Can the TDI be made to work with a mechanical pump
2. what kind of power can be made with the TDI
3. can it be made to bolt upto the gas engined Dodge manual trans
4. how relibale are these engines on the timing belt that runs just about everything on the front end.
5. can the TDI be adapted to run a mechanical fan "i got my reasons for this one ties into question #1"
6. can this engine be bored or stroked any and what sort of common combo's are out there

thank you guys!

#2 ·
i am dobbling the idea of either a 4BT or a VW TDI into my RAM 1500 and i wanted to know some stuff about the TDI

1. Can the TDI be made to work with a mechanical pump yes it can
2. what kind of power can be made with the TDI depends on the budget
3. can it be made to bolt upto the gas engined Dodge manual trans idk
4. how relibale are these engines on the timing belt that runs just about everything on the front end. belts are 60k intervals and i have 2 of them with over 300,000 miles
5. can the TDI be adapted to run a mechanical fan "i got my reasons for this one ties into question #1" probably
6. can this engine be bored or stroked any and what sort of common combo's are out there

thank you guys!

i would personally chose the 4bt for a half ton i put one in my dakota and that's as big as i would go with the 4 cylinder tdi, but if your talking v6-v10 tdi then i'd choose the tdi.

#5 ·
its one of those things that is hard to explain but its the same reason you can find 3/4 ton axels and breaks under a 1/2 ton the weight of a 4 door dakota is similar to a 2 door 1/2 ton
my truck weight is about the same as a dakota,

if i might ask what dakota do you have and what did you do to your TDI as far as mods go?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.