Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a sweet deal for a very low hrs 4bta from a telehandler. I was wondering what I would need to convert it to an automotive style engine, governor etc. I have yet to really research this, so feel the need to flame, but you guys know what your doin, so I figured I'd ask you first. :D

-andrew

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
A telehandler being nothing more than a rough terrain forklift should have a variable speed injection pump which is quite similar to the automotive but may not have the KSB cold starting mechanism. It may or may not have an emissions tag which could be a problem if your conversion would be subject to testing.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Can't you just take the boom off the telehandler, up the gearing and drive that everywhere?:grinpimp:

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
I was just noticing that my bread truck motor doesn't have one, is that odd?
Not really odd. In colder climates the vans were always plugged in at night and some also came with a trickle charger so the KSB was not really needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, I just picked up the engine and have a few more Q's. It's a CPL# 2109 engine, and has a brand new Holset T2 turbo on it. Will this be sufficient or am I looking at a turbo swap before I even start the swap? It's a 4bta, with an inline pump, although it says Bosche on it?

-andrew

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Ok, I just picked up the engine and have a few more Q's. It's a CPL# 2109 engine, and has a brand new Holset T2 turbo on it. Will this be sufficient or am I looking at a turbo swap before I even start the swap? It's a 4bta, with an inline pump, although it says Bosche on it?

-andrew
The inline pumps were made by Bosch, as well. You *might* have a P-7100, but the "A" pump was fairly common on off-road equipment, IIRC. I couldn't find anything specific to that CPL, but I'm sure someone with better resources than I will float through here soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info there machman :beer: . Question for mooktank if he reads this, How much room did you have below your injection pump, between your powersteering box? My compressor sit's right below the injection pump and I'm a lil worried about clearance.

-andrew

·
Registered
854 Posts
My compressor sits right below the injection pump and I'm a lil worried about clearance.
You'll probably have to sacrifice the compressor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doh....I'd want to sacrifice the intercooler before I'd get rid of the compressor. Guess it's time for some fancy fabbing and maybe a jackshaft setup...

-andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts