Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a good auto tranny for my conversion, I assumed it was a th-475 since it was out of a P-30 equiped with a 4bt. It has an INLAND PARTS CO. tag on it that reads BOP 400 KD, so which trans do I have?
I did get lucky in the fact that my NP-205 will bolt right up without changing outputs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
as far as I know it should be the 475? does it still have the deep cast pan? not sure of any other ways of finding out other then tearing it down? also does anyone know if a later NP241 T-case will bolt right on the back of a 2wd TH400/475?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
the th475 has some straightcut gears in it, other than that its the same thing. just a little heavier duty for motorhomes, p30's.
the 241 will work as long as its a 32 spline, but you might have to make a custom spacer to make up the distance for the longer output shaft.

·
Registered
66 Posts
spacer is ok I can make a clocking ring out of that im running my TH475 at the 10* tilt rather the engine so I need t oget the t case back up t oat least stock specs if not up a lil higher and the 241 I have was behinf a TH400 so it should have the 31 spline

·
Registered
397 Posts
the th475 has some straightcut gears in it, other than that its the same thing. ...
Also, gear ratio in 1st is slightly higher numerically in 475 vs the 400, well atleast in some of them. TH475 is apparent from the sound of the straight cut 1st gear(just like the whine in reverse) though this may be masked by the noise of the engine. I've driven many miles in a '55 Chieftain with a TH475 behind a 455 Poncho.

Ken

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I just picked up a good auto tranny for my conversion, I assumed it was a th-475 since it was out of a P-30 equiped with a 4bt. It has an INLAND PARTS CO. tag on it that reads BOP 400 KD, so which trans do I have?
I did get lucky in the fact that my NP-205 will bolt right up without changing outputs.
Should have a bolt on rear yoke and will need output shaft changed and will need the adapter for the 205 to bolt up.

Scott

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should have a bolt on rear yoke and will need output shaft changed and will need the adapter for the 205 to bolt up.

Scott
Correct it had the bolt on yoke but I wont have to change outputs, removed the yoke and snout and my NP-205 bolts right up. My transfer case was already out of a th-400 equipped 1 ton and uses the same long output shaft that was used in 2 wheel drives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts