Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I thought I would chime in and let people know what I'm up to. I'm new to this forum and heard about it from my brother-in-law.
I've been working on installing my 4BT into my CJ-7. So far I'm very happy with my setup and I'm willing to discuss anything that I've chosen to do.
The project started when my AMC 360 finally took a dump to where I couldn't drive a block without the engine falling on it's face. I knew the day was coming so I researched my diesel conversion. I got a used 4BT and over a period of several months mated it to my NV4500 I already had in the Jeep. I made my own motor mounts (brackets) from scratch and utilize OEM style AMC V8 motor mounts. I also created a custom transmission mount while I was at it. Long story short, after 9+ months, I'm getting very close to the finished product. If anyone is interested in any specific pictures I will post them. I have so many pictures that I wouldn't know where to start with which one's to post. Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
sounds like an awesome project.

where in PA are you at? i'm in NJ, but i'm from the harrisburg area.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hi BTCJ and welcome. I posted previously but somehow the software belched or sumpin'. I'm wondering how those AMC mounts work in relation to vibration? I used some tired old Dodge 400/440 mounts that probably had 200K on them, and get quite a bit of vibes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As suggested: All pics in chronological order please:D

I'm just getting started on my CJ-7 swap and I'm about a mile south of the PA line below York. If you're close, shoot me a PM, we should get together and have some :beer:

MIke

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, I live in Manheim, PA. I'll get some pics posted asap. As far as vibes: I still haven't started the engine yet, but after all the hours I have put into my finished motor mounts I hope they work good.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi guys, I live in Manheim, PA. I'll get some pics posted asap. As far as vibes: I still haven't started the engine yet, but after all the hours I have put into my finished motor mounts I hope they work good.
awesome, i used to work in lititz...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few more pics...

My 4BT, guess I cannot add anymore pics, (anymore would exceed my quota) unless someone has any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A disclaimer to all: I have done a lot to the project since these pictures have been taken. I have installed Dodge Ram Hydroboost, the engine and trans mount brackets are cleaned up and painted and I have installed the front clip to the CJ. Tomorrow morning I tow it out to get exhaust put on it. Then tomorrow I plan to fire it up and see how things work. Thanks for any and all interest. I have done so many things to my rig and this is the first time I ever put anything on the internet.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My 4BT, guess I cannot add anymore pics, (anymore would exceed my quota) unless someone has any suggestions.
Could you email me a closeup of your motor mounts? I'm going to be fabbing mine here shortly as soon as my old man gets finished with Shutdown at the mill. Yours look like they're mounted even with the shock brackets. I was thinking of spanning a mount between the factory mount location and the top two bolts of the shock mount.

You can also go out to photobucket.com and upload your pics there then just post links within the thread (up to 5 per post I believe).

- basically when you post you put a
to insert the image into the post

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice work. Are the holes through the frame sleeved?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the complement and Good Question! No, I did not sleeve the holes through the frame. Why? I have no reason other than the original engine mounts on the CJ7 are not sleeved. I though about it, but that is as far as that got. I know the sway-bar mount is sleeved, but that's it. I'll let you know if they rattle out, but I doubt they will. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello, I thought I would update all on the project. I have had my Jeep on the road for about a month now. It is AMAZING! I have the plain 'ol 4BT without any modification or intercoolers. Let me tell you, it has so much stinkin' torque to conquer all the HUGE hills that it encounters. Shake, rattle, and roll. I've gotten used to the vibes. I turned the idle up a tad and that helped a ton! I have a 20 gallon fuel tank and I am easily going twice as far as I used to on my AMC 360 gas hog. I have about 400-500 mile range on my tank on highway miles, it is incredible! At first it took a little getting used to driving and trying to figure out the best times to shift. It is a pure pleasure to drive now. I'll be wheeling it for the first time with the 4BT next weekend and cannot wait to see how it does.

Any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to reply. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for your Jeep. I live in the Lancaster-area. Good to hear that your conversion is working well.

As for my conversion, we have decided to buy a '72 Ford F250 2WD as a commuter/go-getter vehicle at work.

We don't have the powertrain purchased yet. Any local leads on a 4BT?

Do you have a brother or brother-in-law that works at E-town Dodge, by any chance? I met a guy at The Buck this summer who had a family member doing a similar project to yours. Just curious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
seems there are a lot of swaps up in the PA area. I started mine in Berwick PA and then moved to TN. Would have been a huge help to see someone's swap in person. Great job by the way. How do you like the 4:1 in the trans case. I thought about it and I am thinking that it would be too low. Thanks for posting pics.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts