Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

721 - 740 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have found this http://www.transmissiontuner.com/Allison-Swap.html
It looks like a simple drop in solution but I would like some feedback from those who have played with Allison transmissions or even used this set up? seems to shift well on the video of the telemetry.
That's who I used. Jason is very easy to work with. I also used all Goerend parts and am very pleased with them. The trans has held up to my abuse pulling heavy with no problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's who I used. Jason is very easy to work with. I also used all Goerend parts and am very pleased with them. The trans has held up to my abuse pulling heavy with no problems.
Thanks for the feedback, do you have install pics to hand to whet my appetite lol

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, am new to this forum, and I realize this thread has been going for some years now. Looking for any advice anyone might be able to offer. I have a 2015 Cummins, and I am running a 2007 Allison 1000 behind it. What I am trying to find is a wiring pinout for the 2007 Allison 1000 as well as a pinout for the stock Dodge 68RFE so that I might be able to figure out a way to create a harness so that all things that currently don't work in my truck might return to life. I have contacted Jason with Transmission Tuner and he has not dealt with anything this new, I have also talked with destroked and other, and as far as we can tell this is the first 2015 that has an Allison behind. Thanks to anyone that might be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
As far as where I am trying to go with it; I want a functional truck for now. As for what doesn't work, well the ABS module had to bypassed, which means my ABS system doesn't work properly, the prindle doesn't work, no park sense, no reverse lights, no backup camera, locked out of the instrument programming in the dash as well as the commercial switches due to no park sense, no cruise control, no remote start, no tow haul, no manual gear select. There are few other quirks but they are all related to one of the above listed issues. I know some of these things are less serious as they are more or less "bells and whistles", but I feel like all of the issues would clear if I could find a way to merge the Allison output with what the truck wants to see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok I am in the process of reading this thread from beginning to end...so much information. But in the mean time I am working on a project. I am building a microprocessor that will take the input from the dodge apps sensor I am using for my swap and split it into a pwm tps signal for the tcm and an analog 5v tps signal for the ecm. The goal for this is to be able to implement the sem for the Allison to extend clutch life. What I need to know is what kind of a signal (ground, 5v, hexadecimal) the tcm supplies, and what kind of response it needs to see, in order to program the microprocessor to modulate the tps signal to the engine by 50%. The tranny I'm using is an 02 Allison. I do not have a tcm picked out yet but the success of this project will likely determine what setup I go with. Eventually the microprocessor will also manage the task of cruise control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just wanted to add some valuable info based on my experience with this conversion. After talking to the people at cumminsallisonconversions and trying unsuccessfully to get a hold of Howard's I have decided to go with Jason at transmissiontuner.com. He is very knowledgeable, easy to get a hold of and work with, and he was straight up with me when I told him what I was trying to accomplish. He is building me a 5 speed setup with an md cal that is actually tunable in a non gm tcm. The advantage of using a non gm tcm is that if I decide to upgrade to a 6 speed in the future all I have to do is add the wiring for 6th gear and swap out computers rather than doing a full rework on the harness. I am incredibly picky when it comes to the parts I choose for my swap because I plan to drive this truck for the next 20+ years and Jason is the best in the field when it comes to transmission control. Also, for what it's worth, Kerry at Americanhotrodsolutions.com carries the billet Cummins to gm Allison adapter for the best price out there and their customer service is amazing. I was extremely satisfied with my purchase there. Got the engine and tranny all bolted up and stuffed in the engine bay. Waiting for next weekend so I can build some motor mounts and mock up the plumbing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The folks at Cummins Allison Conversions have pretty much rubbed me about as wrong as you can. I emailed them about an engine adapter kit and a tcase adapter kit they have for the NP241, as they have no pricing on the website. They emailed me 1500 for the engine adapter, 2000 for the wiring harness (I never asked about a harness, I'm using Jason's) and asked me if I needed a price on a converter. Well they sent another email pushing the adapter plate for 1450. When I explained that I have the harness covered and am having my converter built locally by the company that builds all of my converters. Through all these emails I continued to steer in the direction of the t case adapter. When they asked me who's harness I was using I got a very odd email.

"We are not comfortable just selling you the transfer case adapter, sorry; I know that may seem unusual to you, but it sounds as if you are trying to find the least expensive route to go rather than perhaps the best route to go, piecing various components together from different suppliers and we are uncomfortable with that.

Not every customer is a good fit for every manufacturer, we try very hard not to set a customer up to be unsuccessful
"

Wait, what? I'm going to be unsuccessful because I am not using strictly their overpriced stuff? Yeah, ok.......

Jason has been awesome to deal with thus far, and I haven't even purchased from him yet. I'm getting close though. I'm formulating a complete plan so when the truck goes under the knife its not down for an extended amount of time.

What I really need to figure out, is how to modify the factory 97 dodge shifting mechanism to operate the 2006 Allison shifting lever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So... I am up and running. Bt-6 from 1996 with a Allison 2100 Mh Behind it. Been testrunning for about 5 weeks now and it seems to work out fine. Since i never drove a veichle with an allison transmission Before I have some questions. in 4-5 and 6 th gear it "freewheels" when I let go off the accelerator. Is that normal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh Lordi! I went to SEMA just looking for Allison control system. Found one: 'Cummins Allison Conversions'. I bought the whole package! I was very pacific, output shaft-32 spline, 1 3/8" OD. I get the 'package' and the output shaft is 1.790"OD. The flange for the e-brake is all different.
So, now I'm looking for an e-brake assy that will work with what Mr. Murphy sent me!

·
3,907 Posts
Oh Lordi! I went to SEMA just looking for Allison control system. Found one: 'Cummins Allison Conversions'. I bought the whole package! I was very pacific, output shaft-32 spline, 1 3/8" OD. I get the 'package' and the output shaft is 1.790"OD. The flange for the e-brake is all different.
So, now I'm looking for an e-brake assy that will work with what Mr. Murphy sent me!
I'm guessing you meant "specific," and if you were I would call the company and ask what's up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need some help I have an 03 GMC with an 8.1 gas I need a trans do to overheat during towing. I found one from an 05 with a Dmax, does anyone know what the exact difference is with the electronics or can point me in the right direction? I want to know for sure before I buy this trans and find out it won't work. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm starting my project I have a have a 4bt common rail with Allison 1000 frame cut looking a 1979 Chevy blazer 4x4 . Looking for the how to of bolting the np205 transfer case to the Allison so far I've found the extension housing but no information on the shaft adapter or what's all needed. Still looking through posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys new here an first allison swap. First off i want to thank everyone for the incredible load of info. I have a questions i'm doing a stand alone harness for an 8.1 an allison from an 01 chevy 3500. the only wire i'm unsure of is pin 30 on j1 (gray). i'm using diagrams i found online different places so they could be right or wrong. Does pin 30 get spliced back into the serial data 2 from the ecm? on my pcm pin out (blue) 58 is pcm serial data (OBD2 plug) an 59 just says class 2 serial data? thanks ahead of time for any help or thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone thanks for the great info in this thread. Can anyone tell me the resistance needed for the circuit with the zener diode for the cat TPS sensor? I've been all over this thread and I can't find specifics on the resistors. Right now I have a 4.7v 1/2 watt Zener diode wired in parallel with the signal and ground and 96 Ohms worth of 1/2 watt resistors in series before the diode and the TCM is not seeing the signal at either pin (9 or 16 on J1). The signal looks good voltage wise - it never goes above 4 volts. The TCM is from an 8.1 gas motor and the PIDs for delivered torque and TPS signal are active in EFI live. This is all in a C5500 Topkick that had a duramax and a 5 speed allison that I swapped with a mechanical cummins engine. Right now I'm having P0708 Range Switch High Voltage code. I swapped the NSBU and now Im getting the P0708 code plus a code for delivered torque signal, which is at least some kind of progress regarding the TPS signal. Any pointers would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I apologize for posting again, I can't view the TPS to TCM schematic on post #95. Can anyone view that image? I fried my Cat TPS sensor, it puts out 10v all the time now. I tried a 7.3 powerstroke TPS but it didnt work either so I am going to try another cat TPS sensor but I don't want to fry another one. I really need a view of that TPS to TCM schematic or info on how to wire the zener diode and resistors if anyone is still following this thread that can help it would mean a lot. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally got the transmission to shift! This info is for anyone working with a 5 speed and AL5 allison TCM. You don't need a diode on the TPS signal wire at all. You can power your TPS with pin 17 of J1 which is 5 volts. Then tie the signal wire into pins 9 and 16 of J1. Initially I had an AL5 TCM from a 2001 8.1 van that would not read the TPS no matter what. I tried it with a TCM from a 2003 8.1 pickup and it worked right away. I ended up swapping those TCMs. The van TCM runs the pickup fine but when I tried to flash the pickups cal file onto the van TCM, EFI live told me there was an OS mismatch. The topkick hits all gears but I need to adjust shift points to get into high gear better, it is currently hanging in 3rd too long. Thanks again to everyone that contributed to this thread especially MaxPF and thank you to 4BTswaps.com for keeping this info available after all these years.

721 - 740 of 763 Posts