Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

741 - 760 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hope this question has not been addressed. I have enjoyed reading through this forum, but, to be honest, my head is spinning a bit. Are there different gear ratios available in the 2000? or can they be changed? I would like first and second gears to be a bit lower, say 4.x and 2.x I want to put it in a school bus with a 6bt. I like the high 6th gear for highway driving but want something with more power at the low end

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got 3000 miles on the combo this summer, works great.best numbers so far is 16,5 miles per gallon. Not too bad with a 11600 lbs Rv.
Howards stuff works fine. travco.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just got my hands on an Allison 2000 series here in the UK, while im waiting for the pallet to turn up I thought I would ask on here for advice on transmission controllers.
So seeing as this thread has been going for years, what are the current options to control a 6 speed MD Allison?
And I would love to hear some feedback from people using each controller set up?
So far I know of Transmission Tuner and Destroked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi another rap for Jason at transmissiontuner.com, I'm running a 6 speed Allison behind a 12 valve 6BT in an OKA 4wd camper/motorhome and he made me up a harness and TCM to suit. It works very well and he has been very helpful and has gone out of his way to help sort out any problems I encountered along the way. I'm in Australia so knowledge on this side of the pond is sketchy at times and he has been great to talk and email to when any problems arose. P1010668 (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
i got a few questions,

i have a 2001 c6500 with a cat 3126. it currently has a eaton 6 speed transmission. i want to convert it to a 2400 allison automatic. did all of the 2400 series come with a pto gear? can i take my pto off my eaton and put it on the allison?

i chose the 2400 becuse its MD rated and has a park prawl. not 100% sure what shifter i could use,

this is the transmission i am looking to get

allison.jpg

id really like a floor shifter. just not sure if any of these shifters had the part position as it may of been the colum shifters that had park. but this is what i am looking at

shifter.jpg

as long as there is enough gear positions i am sure i can figure out the nutural saftey switch position and relabel the gears.

id obviously need to find/make a trans computer harness and get a computer.

my only concern is do i have to worry about the rear end gear ratio?

this is a tow truck, i dont expect it to be super fast. just want some comfortable city driving. i snapped 2 clutch cables a bad times. i really want automatic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the thread, gentlemen. I joined specifically for Allison information behind a 6BT going into a 68 Chevy C50. I bought a 2000 series trans and a 2006 8.1 controller, but starting to think about going for a transmission tuner controller and harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I hope someone can answer my questions...

Here's my situation: I bought a complete swap out of a 2002 freightliner school bus, it's a Cummins with an Allison 2000. When it was time to work on the project, I realized that the guy forgot to keep the TCM and wiring harness between the TCM and bulkhead. According to the bus shop, the TCM number should be 29542725 and harness A06-36329-000.

1- does any TCM with this number will be compatible or does it need a reprog?

2- would the standalone work for me? If yes how much would it cost?

3- according to the wiring diagram, it looks like all the sensors and controls are in the red connector, if I need to make a custom harness, will it work without the grey part? Wiring shows some ABS stuff..

Thanks a lot, I hope I can make it work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does anyone know the process of adding a PTO gear to a transmission that did not come with one. i been on the hunt for a cheap 2400. i found a bunch that came out of the b7000 buses. i need a pto gear transmission for my tow truck. how hard would it be to add a pto gear to a non pto gear transmission?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 2007 gmc 3500hd truck. Last night I was hauling my gooseneck trailer loaded with logs out of a very unleveled, dirt road. I got my trailer hung up, gave it hell to get it unstuck and I smelt something for a sec and now my truck will only go into reverse. When I put it into Drive the indicator light flashes sometimes and the truck revs up but won't go anywhere. Today I changed fluid and filters. One of the filters were actually broken. After putting new ones in, the truck didn't seem to have any change. Then one time I got it to move in drive until I turned it off and back on. I'm in Nebraska right now trying to get back to Minnesota so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I have been searching for some detail on a transmission swap.

I have a 2001 ISB with an AT-545. I despise the AT-545 and want to swap it for a 2000. I have a reasonable understanding of the mechanical aspect but have not found any good info regarding tying the 2000 TCM into the J1708/J1939 bus.

Can you all recommend a resource with details on the electronic side of this swap?

I have 2000's available at a reasonable price but they are from DT-466e rigs. Would the existing tune/programing be usable ? Or would I need to flash a CIN from an ISB?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok after sitting down and reading all 38 pages of this I think I know what I am up against. Here is what I am working on. I have a International DTA360 that has a tired AT545 transmission behind it. I have found a Allison 2000 out of a school bus locally. Went on the Allison website and confirmed that it does indeed have a SAE#3 Bell housing on it and has the TC221 Torque Converter. Its wiring harness has been hacked but all of the transmission specific ends are still in their respective sensors etc...list of what I beleive I will need to make this transmission operate behind my engine is:
1: GM 8.1 Flashed TCM w/BCM so that I can enable the T/H mode
2: Cat TPS
3: EFI Live (what version though)
4: New custom wiring harness w/ OBD port to tune with EFI live
Am I correct if not what am I missing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I have been searching for some detail on a transmission swap.

I have a 2001 ISB with an AT-545. I despise the AT-545 and want to swap it for a 2000. I have a reasonable understanding of the mechanical aspect but have not found any good info regarding tying the 2000 TCM into the J1708/J1939 bus.

Can you all recommend a resource with details on the electronic side of this swap?

I have 2000's available at a reasonable price but they are from DT-466e rigs. Would the existing tune/programing be usable ? Or would I need to flash a CIN from an ISB?

Thank you.
I would highly recommend Jason from transmissiontuner.com He knows his stuff and is a good communicator and a gentleman to deal with. Pete.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would highly recommend Jason from transmissiontuner.com He knows his stuff and is a good communicator and a gentleman to deal with. Pete.
I was going to put this over on Cummins swap, then I saw this thread on this new remodeled Cummins swap & decided this would be a good place!
I clicked on this, the other day and thought there would be lots of fellers that are probably wanting to do this ! -Presented by Mr Truck TV - all Allison.
CUSTOM AUTOMATIC CONVERSIONS.com
Very informative, great interview, worth looking at for any one doing a transmission conversion, especially behind a Cummins

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dropped a Cummins ISB170 into my 08 Dakota back in 2012 with an NV4500 trans. Its been an amazing truck to tow our small 5th wheel across North America for the last 7 years. Now I'm having issues with my knees and cant push the damn clutch pedal anymore. I want to install an Allison 1000 6 speed. Does anyone know if I can just pick up one of the Duramax ones with a DD T case and use a Medium duty TCM to talk to my Cummins? I have a 5 speed 1000 for parts so I have the bellhousing. I know the easy solution is to just use the 5 speed and change the extension housing to the 4X4 one but I'm after as much fuel economy as possible.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #757
I dropped a Cummins ISB170 into my 08 Dakota back in 2012 with an NV4500 trans. Its been an amazing truck to tow our small 5th wheel across North America for the last 7 years. Now I'm having issues with my knees and cant push the damn clutch pedal anymore. I want to install an Allison 1000 6 speed. Does anyone know if I can just pick up one of the Duramax ones with a DD T case and use a Medium duty TCM to talk to my Cummins? I have a 5 speed 1000 for parts so I have the bellhousing. I know the easy solution is to just use the 5 speed and change the extension housing to the 4X4 one but I'm after as much fuel economy as possible.
The ISB170 (3.9L) mated to a 5 speed Allison 1000 was an OE configuration in several chassis, such as the Workhorse. I don't recall off the top of my heads which truck chassis ran the ISB4.5 and an Allison 1000 or 2000, but I'm sure it's been done. In fact, because parameters like RPM, torque request, torque output, etc. are all standard CAN parameters, an Allison TCM programmed for use with a 6 cylinder ISB should work turn-key behind a 4 cylinder ISB.

Here's a Workhorse chassis with a 170HP ISB3.9 and a 5 speed Allison 1000.

Again, because CAN bus codes are standardized and defuel capability is built into all ECM's, it should be possible to simply replace the 5 speed trans and TCM with a 6 speed trans and TCM with a MD cal and have it work fine.

Finally, while I agree that 6 speeds are generally better than 5, it also depends on your gearing. 5th speed in an Allison, whether a 5 or 6 speed version, is 0.71 (or 0.74 for the versions with the lower planetary sets). This is already taller than 5th gear in the 4500 (0.75), so if your Dakota is geared for decent highway cruise RPM you may find that 6th rarely gets used. So, if you already have a complete, working 5 speed 1000 with TCM ready to go, I'd run it. You can always swap in a 6 speed later if you decide it's necessary. Also, while the 6 speed input drum is somewhat simplified and improved over the 5 speed version, the 5 speed trans overall is plenty fine for the power and torque of an ISB170. That being the case, you could simply change the VB, delete the external switch assembly and install the internal switch (requires 6 speed shifter shaft also of I'm not mistaken), and get a 6 speed TCM and harness, and your 5 speed becomes a 6 speed. You could even swap to the 6 speed input drum if you wanted the updated parts (you need the COMPLETE drum assembly, minus the gear. 6 speed gear wont work with the 5 speed planetary sets). All of that depends on the cost of good used parts vs a complete trans.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, thanks for the extensive reply MaxPF.
That is the same model chassis that my engine came from, 03 Workhorse with 90,000km on it. Unfortunately I did not get the trans from that one because I would never consider driving an automatic. ;>) I put another 100,000km on the engine since then and picked up a whole other workhorse chassis for parts a couple of years ago which is where the Allison sits now.
It has high mileage so I was looking at getting it rebuilt and the reason for looking at going 6 speed in the process.
So my options are:
Rebuild the 5 speed and run what I have.
Buy a rebuilt or low mileage 6 speed and find a controller from a MD truck to run it.
Does it matter what the 6 speed is out of? Will a Dmax trans work with a MD controller?
Here is the pie in the sky question. Is it possible to run the cruise and T/H from the Dakota system via CAN?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
Wow, thanks for the extensive reply MaxPF.
That is the same model chassis that my engine came from, 03 Workhorse with 90,000km on it. Unfortunately I did not get the trans from that one because I would never consider driving an automatic. ;>) I put another 100,000km on the engine since then and picked up a whole other workhorse chassis for parts a couple of years ago which is where the Allison sits now.
It has high mileage so I was looking at getting it rebuilt and the reason for looking at going 6 speed in the process.
So my options are:
Rebuild the 5 speed and run what I have.
Buy a rebuilt or low mileage 6 speed and find a controller from a MD truck to run it.
Does it matter what the 6 speed is out of? Will a Dmax trans work with a MD controller?
The transmissions are all the same internally. A MD controller will work fine on a trans out
of a DMax truck.

Here is the pie in the sky question. Is it possible to run the cruise and T/H from the Dakota system via CAN?
I have no idea :unsure: Doesn't hurt to give it a try, tho...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, trying to avoid reading all 38 pages but will do if necessary. Just joined the board as we installed a 4BT and Allison 1000 5 speed out of a 2001-02 Freightliner bread van into a 1950 American La France fire engine for our local fire dept to use in parades. Installation went well and its running and driving. Its using the factory van wiring harness and computers. Problem I am having is the trans is in limp mode and will not shift out of third. Is there a wiring instruction out there as I am guessing I need to tap into some more of the cut wiring for the computer to be happy. I did check the pin outs and I have good power and grounds going to the trans computer. Wiring to all three trans sensors is good check from computer plug to sensor plugs. All three trans speed sensors ohm out between 2.1 to 2.7k.

Thanks Tom
Full Circle Restorations

741 - 760 of 763 Posts