Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks...

I'm finally getting around to posting up an introduction... I've been lurking for a couple of months... looks like there is an amazing wealth of 4BT info here :cool:

I've waffled on a 4BT swap over the years... first when I saw the 4BT 60 Series that Proffits Cruisers did at Cruise Moab (a Toyota Landcruiser event in Moab) several years ago. I've known dieselcruiserhead for quite a few years, great guy and a personal freind to boot :boot: I've had the chance to get out on the the trail with Dre' several times, I've always been impressed with his motors performance.

As of late I have a couple other freinds working on 4BT swaps locally... Darrell, the previous owner of my company (CruiserOutfitters.com), got on the 4BT bandwagon after I told him how cool Dre's rig was working out. He eventually picked up a motor from Andre and has been slowly working on his setup (his truck is in Utah while he works in the Gulf of Mexico, so its a ways off of completion).

I'm currently running a HEAVY FJ40 Landcruiser... while the stock inline 6 does great for the most part, I've always longed for more power one way or the other. Its been built for ~6 years now, I suppose its time to "update" it a bit...

I had another motor lined up for the swap... a Toyota 3FE (gasser inline 6, fuel injected)... I was too busy to get around to the swap so I sold it (in a round about way I now own it again, albeit in a different rig). I'm still liking the 3FE option. The obvious benefits are that it will bolt in directly with my transmission, motor mounts and all. The hardest part of the swap will be the electrical and exhaust routing, all minor compared to the 4BT swap.

Proffits did an excellent job on a 4BT swap utilizing an H55F (the same 5 speed manual I run), since then the 4BT has been another option I have considered.

Time will tell... my plan is to gather parts over the summer, be it for a 3FE swap or a 4BT, I'll keep my eyes open for both and I guess whichever one I come across first wins the deal.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
FNG! :happyfinger:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, fast forward almost a year... I finally sourced a 4BT. Its a 5/89', came out of a Frito Lay truck (~113k but the motor has 74k written on top).

I picked it up from a freind that was planning on putting it into an 80 Series Land Cruiser, long story short life took him into a different direction and he sold me the Cummins for his costs (flew to Denver to get it).

I'll spare you the details, but I have no clue where to put it, I've got a handful of candidate rigs, I need to really sit down and weigh the options. In the meantime I'll be following alot of your builds and getting acquainted with the 4BT swap.

For now I'm in the market for an intercooled intake as well as whatevery flywheel and adapters I will need. I need to decide on a tranny and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
welcome again Kurt... I checked out his engine today, sweet low mileage '89 4BT.. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the motor inside today :D

I'm excited to clean it up. I'm planning on pulling some of the periphrials (sp?) ie. alternator, etc and putting it back on the trailer for a trip to the carwash, not sure I want to pressure wash it at my place ;) Other than covering all the inlets/outlets, are there any special concerns I should have before pressure washing it?

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry, just had to mention this, I thought that it was funny and slightly ironic that when I looked at your picture, the coil spring box says "Old man" with the engine crate covering some of the letters :tongue:

Pantherman

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, just had to mention this, I thought that it was funny and slightly ironic that when I looked at your picture, the coil spring box says "Old man" with the engine crate covering some of the letters :tongue:

Pantherman
And at 27, I'm starting to feel old too :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Things are progressing nicely... I still don't have a rig to put the 4BT in, but my parts collection is growing. I've got a couple of different intercooler options (Volvo and the stepvan) and I scored a NIM exhaust manifold (90*) that puts the turbo in the middle. Not sure if it will work for my setup... well, until I know what my setup is :D

I've got a good freind of mines FJ45 Troopy at my house right now, I'm helping him finish his 4BT/NV4500/Cruiser case build, really helping me get a grasp for all the needed changes.

Hoping to have a donor candidate by spring?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Helping my freind Darrell with his 4BT swap has been a huge resource for me. Through him I re-found an old shop we used to do some work with that specializes in all things Cummins. Darrell has been sourcing all sorts of neat parts from them, low profile pulley assemblies, the vertical oil filter mount, etc. We stopped there yesterday to check out some parts, they have shelves of 4BT/6BT take-offs, they even had a complete 4BT sitting on the floor, next to a couple dozen of the 6BT's :D

I'm still in the search mode for vehicle to build... I've got my search narrowed down and am being rather picky about it, with time on my side it might be ahwile. :D

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Very cool Kurt.. I owe you a phone call too :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts