Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the big dollar commercially available homebrewing systems for sale. Since we seem to creative on building vehicles I would assume the same would apply to constructing a biodiesel system. So what is required to build one? Where do you buy parts and supplies? How much does it cost? Pitfalls and difficulties involved? And of course PICTURES - PICTURES - PICTURES

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's my plan to start brewing my own when I get the 4bt conversion done. I have done a lot of research but have not started construction of any process equipment yet. One item that I have not located a local sorce for is the lye. We use a lot of the NaOH at work but it is all in a liquid solution, meaning it is mixed with water. We get the methanol in by the trailer truck load at work. It is a shame I can't buy it from there. I may be able to source it from the same supplier by the drum. I have located a sorce for my used vegitable oil. It isn't a lot but it should supply my needs. I guess I can always do some dumpster diving at the local fast food places if I run short.

There is a biodiesel plant going in right next to my work. It is an old Monsanto plant. A lot of their employees have been layed off for some time. They are going through a call back now to man the facility. I don't know how much new construction is needed in the plant or if it will be able to run on one of their shut down process lines. I think I have mentioned here that there is also a new large ethenol plant being built right across the street too. I can't see that as being profitable. I think they are after the government grant money to fund that.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I'll post pics to mine when I get a chance. We have a very good setup. But that said it is still very time consuming to produce and nasty. Not always worth it.. Not as easy as everyone says (most stuff about how easy -- all over the internet -- is total BS). Also, used oil is a commodity. IT IS NOT GARBAGE, as everyone says. It sells used, refined, for $1.30 a gallon :eek:

Here is the link, about halfway down:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=92355&page=5

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best homebrewing processor is called appelseed- used electric water heater-safer,sealed unit.Ive been making biodiesel for approx 3yrs.At first it is time consuming,but gets better once you get a system.The NAOH is better to use that the Lye,unless you have really dirty oil.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Going the way of the grease

As a Norwegian farm kid who's one generation removed from the out-house, the frugal lifestyle was what we lived and it still (possibly to a fault) pervades me to this time.

While it was a radical change of mindset to stop splitting wood and go with collecting waste veggie oil (WVO) instead, there's no way that I'd ever want to pick up a splitting maul again. I've been able to pull in a resturant, bakery, and a small-town university as my primary WVO sources, and pay them anywhere from $0.10 to $0.25 per gallon for such (and they believe that they're getting the bargain).

The method of collection usually is custom-built for the place that I'm buying it from, with the primary focus being sanitation, safety (i.e., spill prevention) as well as ergonomics (easy for them to dump). I've uploaded pictures of two of my custom-designed dumping stationsfor you to check out.

Right now the WVO is heated, filtered and stored clean either in a 150-gallon cone-tank (ready-to-use for home heating or else making biodiesel) or else in 55-gallon drums. The house is warmed (in the winter of course) and my domestic water is heated 24/7/365 with the WVO using a waste oil burner from kingbuilt.com. In the near future, I intend to put a water-to-air heat exchanger in my clothes dryer air inlet so that all we'll need to do is turn the knob to the no-heat selection and minimize the 220 volt draw.

After that, I intend to modify my gas grill so that it can burn biodiesel in a manner similar to the way that the old wick-style kerosene lanterns worked and thus eliminate my dependence on LP. An after that, it will be a diesel-powered water pump, and then ....

The bottom line is that if you look at this as an energy conservation-based hobby, then it really becomes a fun challenge to see how many ways that you can apply this low-cost energy source.

Keep on collecting ...

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bioprocessor schematic

Pete,

Attached you will find a decent schematic of a bioprocessor. Don't be intimidated by it. Given time, you'll catch on like the rest of us fuel creating addicts.

For now, I'd recommend developing your grease supply chain. Try to find a resturant that doesn't cook the heck out of its grease (i.e., changes it out every few days so that it's free fatty acid content isn't too high).

Give 'er heck,

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
it seems to me that there was a episode of trucks! tv a while back(when stacy david was still in charge) and he showed a pre made biofactory. i cant rember the link off hand but its on rcc some were and they are down for maintance atm. i will find it in the after noon when i wake up :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor4.html

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

These two links should help everyone out. I was going to start putting a system together but then I got sent to turkey. I was going to run the bio in my duramax but I left it in the states so I have no reason to pursue processing for the next 15 months. I have done some serious research on the subject though, and the Journey to Forever site has the most knowledge from what I've seen on the web.

·
Registered
11 Posts
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor4.html

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

These two links should help everyone out. I was going to start putting a system together but then I got sent to turkey. I was going to run the bio in my duramax but I left it in the states so I have no reason to pursue processing for the next 15 months. I have done some serious research on the subject though, and the Journey to Forever site has the most knowledge from what I've seen on the web.
I actually tried some of there formulas for making biodiesel from new oil and when it came to washing ended up with an emulsion. I was using the methanol/NaOH recipes. I ended up getting it work by using 200ml of methanol and 5grams of NaOH i was using Roebic lye. This was all done with the Dr. Pepper method. Using the same principles i developed through trial and error i did waste veg, and got it to work very well also. BTW my father in law had an old bottle of red devil lye, i tried it also with the same results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why would you want to spend that much money when you can make one out of a water heater or something? MUCHO cheaper check out the links I listed above they have good plans for biodiesel reactors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can build a processor identical to the commercial ones for cheaper if you hit the farm supply stores for the tanks. IMO they are ok, but an appleseed processor would do quite alright also

·
Registered
77 Posts
bio is easy and convenient for me to buy right now at a local shop so i havent gotten serious about brewing, in a few years when i move out of the city i'll have to decide weather i want to start or just buy a large container and have it delivered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
More BioD data

Here is a site with lots of data and great folks...
www.biodiesel.infopop.cc

I have been a home brewer for 2 years, I feed a powerstroke, and a Cummins.

Be careful to final test your fuel before it goes in the truck.

www.b100supply.com sells some nice products

Here are some articles on biod testing
http://www.b100supply.com//Articles.asp?ID=121

Here is a link, with lots of links:
www.localb100.com

Remember you can make as much as you can burn, and the government will give you a tax rebate.

Good luck, get it right, test the final product...

JayM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts