Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this question asked and this is not to scare people out of doing a repower but to give them a figure to go by. There are too many varablies to say it's going to cost X amount, but by giving a few details it might take some of the sticker shock off.
For my Scout the cost includes a used 4BT plus new trans and Tcase, a change over to a Dodge Clutch (new) from a Chevy. This does not include the cost of materials or equipment.
My estimated cost for the repower, $8000. and counting. (2002 cost)

So lets here it from all of you 4BT fans.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My Drivetrain costs thus far:

Engine & Adapter Approx $2600
Transmission & Torque Converter - Approx $1700
Transfer Case - $700

Of course I'm doing an entire rebuild, but $5k isn't anything to sneeze at.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i have about $5000 in mine. 3500 for the engine. 360 for starter mods. 140 for clutch plate. 1000 in exhaust, mounts, air cleaner, etc etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
4BT in a running driving truck $1800.00
Scraped body and parts from the bread truck and Jeep gave me a "combined" return of$1200.00
46RH with NP205 and starter complete from a Dodge truck $950.00
BD torque converter $550.00
Wategated turbo from a Dodge truck with 24V manifold $75.00
Manifold cutting and welding $75.00
New flex-a-lite radiator with built in fan $750.00
Vacuum pump $45.00
Misc steel for engine mounts, tranny mount $125.00
Total $3170.00 for just the motor related parts

This is just to date, but I'm sure there will be more:beer:

·
Registered
915 Posts
87 V3500 Chevy

Engine (6BT) - $750+400 shipping
Adapt to chevy trans - $800
Intercooler - $65
Plumbing & Misc - $700
Dodge Pan and pickup $300
4L80E - $1900

Parts sold from original engine(6.5T) and tranny(TH475) -$1550

Total - $3365

·
Registered
808 Posts
When I am asked how much to put a Cummins in a PW/WC/M37, I always suggest a minimum budget of $8000. This includes 4 wheel disk brakes and power steering. That figure also is with you doing all your own fab work, everything is done by you . This also asumes that you have no
parts required for hte swap and everything will have to be bought.

Paul

·
Registered
61 Posts
$$$ for 4bt swap into my 1993 IFS full size Blazer is :
Frito Van = $1600
scrapped van = $-325
TCI trans controller for 4l60e (ebay-used) = $400
flywheel adapter ring = $20
lower stall converter = $150
master cylinder to work with hydroboost = $30
sold hydro mounts = $-100
bought used 45* mounts with rubber = $50
hydroboost to gearbose PS hose = $17
exhaust is being put together with stuff laying around = 0
6" lift kit to clear 4bt pan (used-rear ended truck)= $400
$2242 is what I have into the swap so far and amy very close to driving it!

·
Registered
854 Posts
To avoid confusion, leave off other chassis-only related items like $1500 Dana 60 front axles. Lets keep this to ENGINE RELATED swap costs only.

79 F-250 4X4:
used 4BT with NP435 trans: $1750 cash
sold NP435 that came with engine: -$150
Sold 400M engine from truck: -$300
Two new rubber motor mounts: $20
Ran return line from engine to fuel tank: $20
New pos battery cable: $15
Radiator hose bits: $20
welding rods/wire: $10
chop saw wheel: $5

Total: $1390
I did NOT include "normal maintenance items" like oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, and serpentine belt. Those are expenses you will never get away from so they CAN'T be included in the cost of a "swap".

Now, here is where I get "gray area". I bought a wrecked dodge D250 diesel and grabbed a few things from it, like the full exhaust, larger H1C turbo, intake heater grid, PS/Vac pump combo. I made enough money parting out the truck that the stuff I robbed from it cost me nothing and I still have cash left over. I added that info because it is kind of like when folks scrap a bread van and get some cash for the metal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not to pick a fight...BUT...what if you HAD to put in a D60 to handle the weight? Or to fit the 4bt you HAD to go "straight axle" ? I think that fair to include in?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not to pick a fight...BUT...what if you HAD to put in a D60 to handle the weight? Or to fit the 4bt you HAD to go "straight axle" ? I think that fair to include in?
The axles aren't normally considered part of a swap b/c not all swaps are 4wd. Usually the main things involved in a swap are the Engine/Transmission and Transfercase where applicable.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What was the stratagey for scraping the truck for that much money? Did you seperate the aluminum from the steel? Did you part out the rear end? Please expand.
The yards here in Colorado pay much more when body "cleaned, stripped and separated" from the steel frame. Sold the rear end from bread van, sold stock tranny and T/C from the Jeep, Sold stock axles from Jeep, and I'm selling the NP 435 and motor plate the bread vancame with. Total return will be $1200.00

I pulled the driveline related parts from my swap posting but I agree with the fact that if one is going to use a 4837 LB vehicle, with 39" tires , for rock crawling, this "addition" to the overall cost of the swap should be considered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts