Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my donor home last night! Well it was a wild ride, I felt like I cheated death. Lets just say driving a truck fome 150 miles, that you know nothing about, in the dark can get interesting fast, espescially when it's on back highways with absolutely NO ONE ELSE around...

My headlights decided they were lazy and turned off completey un expected a few times:eek:

But all is well now, I just have to decide whether Im going to do my swap here in Utah or home in CA. And if out there how to get my K30 and my donor truck out to work on em. Anyway heres the beaut:flipoff2:

And before someone asks...The down pipe is only about 2 ft. long, no exhaust leak!

And here's where the 12v will soon reside...

:beer:

Incase anyone is wondering...the K30 is currently powered by a real strong running 6.2, but I want more so Im going 12v.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sound like a plan

wow thats going to be a beast when you are done!!:eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sweet! I'm doing the same thing with my CUCV, except my 6.2 isn't turbo'd.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So im seriously considering using autoworlds MM/Crossmember setup, It looks awesome. I would've rather gone with a member from this site but he said he's sold out and wont make more til after the 1st of 09, Im hoping to be done by then, any other options?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have all of the above tools, and decent fab. skill, Im just short on time, Im trying to get this as complete as possible in 3 short weeks ( winter vacation home from college). If I had one of these setups, I could remove both front clips, radiators and so forth then yank both motors and get the 12v bolted to the chevy, fairly stragiht forward. Then start plumbing.

We might as well start getting into the technical goodies...
The donor dodge I bought, already has a nv4500 swapped in place of the getrag, with an Advanced adapter to the stock NP205. So im planning on dropping the trannies and t cases on both, then yanking motors, putting the cummins in the chevy and putting it's tranny and case right back up. So linkages and plumbing apear to be my biggest concern if I can buy Motor mounts and a crossmember.

Other potential issues...
1.my truck has a mechanical linkage, the nv 4500hd has hydraulic
2. my current radiator is kinda shot, so I'd like to re use the dodge one, anyone ever done this?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
So im seriously considering using autoworlds MM/Crossmember setup, It looks awesome. I would've rather gone with a member from this site but he said he's sold out and wont make more til after the 1st of 09, Im hoping to be done by then, any other options?
I would do some research on them and there products ,they set there engine up against the firewall and the head can't be removed unless you unbolt the engine from the mounts .

Scott

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's not so cool, What other options do I have for pre-fab mounts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey sicnick I saw that truck on RME and was hoping he would part it out. You did good buying it though so I didnt have to. I am also doing the same conversion as you. I went with the avalanche eng. motor mounts and crossmember and it is a simple bolt in that is very adjustable. Also a first gen I/C fits like a glove in the chev core support. I went with a Summit racing alumn. radiator that fits beautifuly, I used the stock Dodge rubber mounting hardware for the radiator and I/C. I also swaped the the rear housing on the Dodge 205 for a chev 205 for the speedo. Here are a few pics.

·
Registered
508 Posts
All of you suck! :happyfinger:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet K30 btw, if my 6.2 K5 ran or sounded like that I probably wouldnt have even done the swap:beer:
Hey man thanks a ton for all your pictures! Great info too. I appreciate the comments on my current truck and I agree, if this drivetrain was in a half ton,blazer, suburban, etc. it would be phenomenal. But my truck weighs 8,000 pounds and could use a little more POWER! bounce

Anyway, I will take whatever pics you would like ASAP my email is [email protected] send me one saying exactly what you'd like. What is your timeframe for completion looking like? If you're done before I start and want to take a winter vacation to southern CA (ventura county) let me know! Im assembling a team of wrenchers and fabbers back home to try and bang this out quick.:beer:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey man thanks a ton for all your pictures! Great info too. I appreciate the comments on my current truck and I agree, if this drivetrain was in a half ton,blazer, suburban, etc. it would be phenomenal. But my truck weighs 8,000 pounds and could use a little more POWER! bounce

Anyway, I will take whatever pics you would like ASAP my email is [email protected] send me one saying exactly what you'd like. What is your timeframe for completion looking like? If you're done before I start and want to take a winter vacation to southern CA (ventura county) let me know! Im assembling a team of wrenchers and fabbers back home to try and bang this out quick.:beer:
So what did you think of tiny2085 he's kinda small huh!;)

I will have to come up with a crossmember of some kind and just thought it would help to see one. If you get the time you can email it to [email protected] Thanks.

Like I said you did great on your donor truck, that is gonna be a really sweet K30.

If this winter is anything like last year you will be getting some visitors, about six of us.:grinpimp:

Edit; I hope to have it on the road by late winter. All the pictures are just a mockup, I still have to take it all apart and box the frame and put on a bunch of goodies I have collected.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good deal, I can take a pic of that crossmember although its all still on the dodge...Is that what you wanted? Ya that caleb, I gave him crap since in my 22 years he is the only person i've met with a head bigger than me, that man wears a size 8 hat!!! and a good dude for sure.

Im so incredibly stoked about that avalanche eng. deal, looks like the best setup I've seen by far! thanks again boss!

AND in all fairness, I'll invite anyone on here who wants to come out to socal and help with some chevy cummins swap-age, haha. Did I mention it's about 75-80 every single day:D

BTW, you planing on keeping you A/C? because I need to as this is my DD. If so what are your plans???

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of you suck! :happyfinger:
Come out and help boss, there are some cheap plane tickets now, Im only an hour north of LA international, better yet, fly to vegas and help me drive one of these trucks from here in UT to CA;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Man, I definitely would if I could afford to! I'd love to help out, but you'd have to feed me and get me a hat. I wear an 8 & 3/8s :grinpimp: I got a big noggin!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good deal, I can take a pic of that crossmember although its all still on the dodge...Is that what you wanted? Ya that caleb, I gave him crap since in my 22 years he is the only person i've met with a head bigger than me, that man wears a size 8 hat!!! and a good dude for sure.

Im so incredibly stoked about that avalanche eng. deal, looks like the best setup I've seen by far! thanks again boss!

AND in all fairness, I'll invite anyone on here who wants to come out to socal and help with some chevy cummins swap-age, haha. Did I mention it's about 75-80 every single day:D

BTW, you planing on keeping you A/C? because I need to as this is my DD. If so what are your plans???
Yeah while it's still on the Dodge is fine, I talked to Caleb about it and he said all he did was use a piece of angle with some rubber mounts. It's the same setup as mine so it would be nice to see it before I build mine, Thanks.

I definetly will keep the A/C, I will probably notch the frame since I'm going through all the work to box it anyway. You probably wont have to worry about boxing since you have a 1 ton also I plan on some serious off road fun for this thing. You may want to consider an industrial mount for the ac, do a search for a guy named turbos10, he did a nice one that is a combination of I think freightliner parts and some homemaid brackets. His was an industrial engine to start with though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I definitely would if I could afford to! I'd love to help out, but you'd have to feed me and get me a hat. I wear an 8 & 3/8s :grinpimp: I got a big noggin!
We need proof...:happyfinger:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ask my parents.... :rasta:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts