Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Chevrolet K3500 w/ 1993 4BTA w/ 4L80E.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So it's been a few months but finally I've got the engine fired up and ready to be installed in the truck.

Here's some photos from along the way

Had to make a little modification to the diesel conversion bracket setup in order to make it fit.

I was originally going to go with Cummins white but while I was browsing the paint cabinet for some cans I spotted something else. It may be sacrilegious but I went with a Volvo Penta color called Aquamatic. It looks different and I'm 100% please with the outcome.

Started to do a slight mach up of the intercooler piping.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Mounted the turbo with a 3in spacer just to clear the alternator so I can fit a coupler on the turbo.

This weekend I'll be ordering the wiring harness for the truck so that way next week I can get the truck down to work. Get the engine in the truck and do the final pieces of the puzzle.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Curious, what turbo is that? Looks like and HX35W. If so, you may not like it. A 4bt just doesn't spool a turbo that large very well. Most of the power will be on the top end and EGT's will tend to be higher. A Super HX30W is about as large as you can go on a single.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Curious, what turbo is that? Looks like and HX35W. If so, you may not like it. A 4bt just doesn't spool a turbo that large very well. Most of the power will be on the top end and EGT's will tend to be higher. A Super HX30W is about as large as you can go on a single.
Its a HX30W. Well atleast that what the tag says. The turbo is one of the only things I didn't have to replace on this build.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Is the air intake on the compressor 3" or 4"? It just looks bigger than the usual 3". The Super HX30W does have 4" though. Maybe it's just an optical illusion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Is the air intake on the compressor 3" or 4"? It just looks bigger than the usual 3". The Super HX30W does have 4" though. Maybe it's just an optical illusion.
It's a 4" intake. I guess I have a super h30w and didn't even realize it. The guy I purchased the truck from sound it had a bigger turbo I just never believed him.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
The reason I questioned it was it looked a little old and the turbine housing looks bigger than 6cc. I'd swear that looks like a 12cc. Have you looked in the exhaust inlet to see what number is stamped there? Only the 42mm standard HX30W had the 12cc housing and its air intake would be 3". Below is the photo of a Super HX30W back side. Most of the Supers we see are very shiny since they are new and come out of China. For some reason that turbo doesn't look correct for its ID. Almost looks like someone stuck a HX30W ID plate onto a HX35W. Is there a part # on the ID plate?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The reason I questioned it was it looked a little old and the turbine housing looks bigger than 6cc. I'd swear that looks like a 12cc. Have you looked in the exhaust inlet to see what number is stamped there? Only the 42mm standard HX30W had the 12cc housing and its air intake would be 3". Below is the photo of a Super HX30W back side. Most of the Supers we see are very shiny since they are new and come out of China. For some reason that turbo doesn't look correct for its ID. Almost looks like someone stuck a HX30W ID plate onto a HX35W. Is there a part # on the ID plate?
Here's a couple of pictures of the tag and the backside of the turbo. I hope that's not the case that someone just swapped the tags. I wouldn't be surprised though.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Part number on your turbo is 3538414. That is an HX35W found on a Dodge Cummins with the P7100 injection pump. Way too big for a 4bt. It will be slow to boost on the low end and EGT's will run higher. I knew that turbine housing didn't look right for a 6cc. Need to think about a different turbo. Either the 44mm HX30W or the 46mm Super HX30W. The super would have the same 4" air inlet and uses the same compressor outlet elbow as that HX35W. The only thing different would be the oil line. The regular HX30W would use the same oil line you have now but it's air inlet would be 3" and the outlet elbow is smaller. 2.5" vs 3". The Super would probably be the cheapest fix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Damn... Duped again.. You think even with all the upgrades like the big cam, injectors, upgraded pump, etc. it still will be to big? I do a lot of highway driving and probably will never tow anything to be honest so low end power isn't much of a demand.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Damn... Duped again.. You think even with all the upgrades like the big cam, injectors, upgraded pump, etc. it still will be to big? I do a lot of highway driving and probably will never tow anything to be honest so low end power isn't much of a demand.
I started with the HX35 and it was not a user friendly combo with the 4BT laggy, hot and smokie with any fueling rate that would even get close to feeding turbo till it would start to work, when it was starting to work it was well above the 4BT's sweet spot for torque and economy…..
Being a slow learner I even tried a aftermarket 8cm exhaust housing on it it was better with it but still not truly suitable for a real world truck that was required to do "truck stuff".......$.02

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,632 Posts
Ditto what Steve E said.
I tried to make the H1C that came with my 4BT (105hp) work for towing. Tried smaller exhaust, even tried a larger compressor wheel and combinations. All I got was high EGTs and smoke. Go with a HX30.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
The general issue as these guys have found is no mater how you try the 4bt just doesn't produce enough exhaust to spool the HX35W properly. Have to remember that the 6bt that it came on was 50% bigger and it worked perfectly on those engines. Although you say that low end power isn't much of a demand, that is what a Cummins is mostly about. The 4bt is a high torque low RPM engine. Guys have tried the HY35W which is the HX35W compressor with a 9cc turbine housing. It was some better but an HX30W would run circles around it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
well if you own the hx35 now try it out. I've ran one for as long as ive had my 4bt. If you don't like it then buy another turbo. with more fuel, stage 3 cam and proper tuning you'd be surprised how good a hx35 can be. In my experience if you don't plan on towing and you just want to boot around you will like the hx35 better. I don't do a lot of towing, but i'm more than happy with my set up

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
This is just my $.02 but if I were doing it again I would opt for the turbo that would give me 20PSI @ 1,500RPM over one that would give me 30PSI @ 2,800RPM.
Before I went to compounds I was running the He221 with the 6cm exhaust housing, with stock injectors I had it tuned to be very clean off idle and it would make 28PSI under load with WOT this also gave me near 20 PSI at 1,500RPM when it was well loaded. This setup ran well from sea level to 7,500' with it tuned for my home elevation of 500' now it was at 7,500' a bit smokey at take off unless you were real careful but just for a second or two till the 221 spooled up a bit.
To me you want to match your components and tune to suit the 4BT's strong points so get it to be happy between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM and gear it to run around 1,850 RPM at the interstate speed limit this will give you the most bang for the buck and your overall driveability will put a smile on your face.

Reactions: Se7enTravel

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
428 Posts
This is just my $.02 but if I were doing it again I would opt for the turbo that would give me 20PSI @ 1,500RPM over one that would give me 30PSI @ 2,800RPM.
Before I went to compounds I was running the He221 with the 6cm exhaust housing, with stock injectors I had it tuned to be very clean off idle and it would make 28PSI under load with WOT this also gave me near 20 PSI at 1,500RPM when it was well loaded. This setup ran well from sea level to 7,500' with it tuned for my home elevation of 500' now it was at 7,500' a bit smokey at take off unless you were real careful but just for a second or two till the 221 spooled up a bit.
To me you want to match your components and tune to suit the 4BT's strong points so get it to be happy between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM and gear it to run around 1,850 RPM at the interstate speed limit this will give you the most bang for the buck and your overall driveability will put a smile on your face.
There's some good info !!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I've gone this far basically changing everything so that way it could be right and I wouldn't have to worry about anything. I'm going to take the hit and just order up a Super hx30w. The general consensus I see is that I can't go wrong with that choice.
I've read a lot of the threads about the weather or not the hx35 can be used in a single turbo setup. I was kinda hoping that I skimmed over something and I'd be able to get away with it. Wishful thinking though. Atleast I've got something to play around with the possibility of a compound setup in the future.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts