Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you just love thieves! I've had a few things stolen over the years, but no real big ticket item. Have lost a few gas cans, chain saw, etc. Well this week things got a bit worse. Wednesday afternoon I was going to feed the cats and an area on the carport I walk by every day seemed strange. Something was missing. A Dodge Cummins '03-07 exhaust manifold I had modified to fit a standard B series head was AWOL. Started looking and part of a brand new two piece manifold was gone. Strange they only took the two cylinder part and left the other half laying there. Then noticed the battery was gone from the lawn tractor. Battery wires had been cut. Called the police and made a report. You sort think druggies, but these were kind of odd items and not things you'd easily sell. Well, yesterday, I was heading out to lunch and something caught my eye. There was a blank area under my workbench that had been home to a Gear Vendors OD unit. It was carefully wrapped up and not readily visible. It was only the main unit and the transmission adapter part was in a box elsewhere. Well, I checked that box and it was empty. Odd, there was an HX30W turbo laying beside that box that wasn't touched. Then I started looking more. A heavy B series front engine mount that was in a totally different area had also vanished. Strange the the mount was gone but the rubber mounts and bolts were left. This was a selective thief who knew what he was choosing. So far the insurance claim is over $4000. Haven't been out yet today. Maybe he came out last night and took the gas cans and that turbo. I could readily identify the modified manifold because I had photos of it. Not sure if I recorded the serial number of the OD unit. I had contacted the factory about it one time but not sure if I have the number written down. It's cold, grey, and wet today. Sort of matches my mood.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
That sucks Charles. Time to get some cameras, those idiots will probably be back to get more.

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
Sounds like somebody locally knew what they wanted and where to get it and will have there project up and running shortly. Im sorry Charles. I personally like game cams and shotgun shell trips for the local meth heads.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Sorry to hear this Charles. We have had a few issues like this in our very rural area and with what has been taken were pretty sure that it's tweekers.........
We have been spared so far but we have a fully fenced yard and close to 300 lbs. of dogs that would enthusiastically send a trespassers to the trauma ward or morgue so I guess we have nothing worth getting killed over.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, this thing has gotten even worse. Seems that any kind of automotive parts aren't covered by home owners insurance even though they are under your roof. The only part they would cover was the battery and cables on the lawn tractor, but since that's under the $250 deductible that isn't covered either. Like the old song on Hee Haw. Gloom, despair, and agony on me, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. LOL.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Charles,
Think you need bigger Cats and keep them a little hungry.
I have cameras now, have had the odd uninvited snooper going through the vehicles in the front yard.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is a blooming shame , this is why I have a sign at my gate about a bad dog ,although he raises his hair & barks he has never bitten but to look at him you think he is going to ! Also I have a (belt up ) man size target taped on my street side window with about 12 or so holes in it 9 mm of course! Maybe I will add another, (Nothing hear is worth your LIFE )
This is the sad truth of the world we live in - and it probably will not get any better until Christ returns.
Really pray you get your stuff back Charlie
Papa

·
Registered
246 Posts
Chas you seem to be the kind of guy who likes to help everyone when you can and then to have this happen. I’m not a cat person. I’m a Rottweiler person. I’m on my third one in the last 23 years ever since someone threw a rock through a window in my house one night while I was away at work and my wife was home alone with 2 small kids. I haven’t had any trouble since. I have game cams hidden around my shop and a 12 ga. shot gun by the front door. I sleep with a 357 Mag by the bed and I constantly carry a 22 Mag pocket pistol everywhere I go. Am I paranoid? Maybe but I sure feel safe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Right on-Welderwhiskey- I hope for the sake of your hearing you also keep a pair of GOOD head phone type ear protection, close to your 357 ! - I fired my Sig - 9 mm under a roof 1 time , no sidewalls ,the blast was horrendous ! When you go to " Front Sight in Parump Nevada " they insist on head phones . They say if you are inside, and ever want to hear again you better have head phones on, they even insist on them 100% of the time while on the outside range !

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
While you can never make your property 100% secure ,as long as yours is much harder to infiltrate that the rest of your neighbors the thugs will seek out the easier pickings.
A layered defense that is within the law is your best bet,where I live the law is pretty clear that if you come across my fence and attempt to "lay hands" on my dogs then armed fire from the house is legal.
The moral of the this story is "The fence is there for your protection........So stay on your side"............;)

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, unfortunately, fencing isn't much of an option. My lot is 9.5 acres and it's in the city limits. I didn't win the lottery. Even if I fenced the yard that's over an acre. I keep much of my stuff in locked storage, but the carport is my work area when weather permits. Some parts just hadn't gotten move to the garage yet and that's what they hit. Never thought of anyone bothering the old lawn tractor. That thing is a 1985 model but built like a tank. New battery cables are on the way to fix that. May not get a new battery until next spring. Weather is getting colder and grass mowing may be done for this season.

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
booby trap.jpg booby trap 1.jpg Not the killing or maiming type. Just a freak the tweeker type. Enough to clear their bowels and get your attention at late hrs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Man that's lame! Sometimes seems like things aren't safe even if they're nailed down!

I had a few tools & parts "grow legs" a summer back & invested in a set of little wireless cameras (Arlo) & at first didn't catch much more than the odd possum or raccoon sniffing around... but then the cameras paid for themselves when they captured a group of the local drunks vandalizing a little sports car I had parked out front at 3am. Wasn't much damage really, but when the local & county police (that were already rightly irritated by the number of unresolved calls they get with issues in the area at night) came knocking at their doors I think the word got out pretty fast in the neighborhood that you can't just get away with anything because the sun's set. It's been relatively quiet since. Had some unexpected advantages too: now I know what wildlife's getting into what, plus knowing when & where deliveries arrive is handy.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It sure sounds like someone you know. (Maybe only slightly) Have you sold something lately and showed the items you are missing?

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sure sounds like someone you know. (Maybe only slightly) Have you sold something lately and showed the items you are missing?
No, haven't sold anything and I get very few visitors. Probably over a hundred cars drive down this road every day but don't have any stopping here. Some of the parts that disappeared have never been shown to anyone and they've been out there for about 8 years covered up. I am a sort of creature of habit in that I go out every day for lunch, but don't go at the same time every day. The police sit across the road fairly often watching for speeders. I'd had a few previous thefts that were small stuff but this was more specialized.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Check with your local and non local metal recyclers. They might be taking things heavy for scrap money.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about all this. This sounds to me like a crime of opportunity. Whoever it was, took the time to just take what was easy to grab, without breaking in, and I think they had to be bold enough to drive up to your house because some of the stuff they got was heavy, bulky and not exactly easy to walk off with. The latest type of criminals are those who tend to steal mail packages off the porch and they tend to target their victims by driving by for several days, to see when you're home and wether they can approach without being noticed. Such as service trucks, etc.

There is no one size fits all approach to security, but you may need to drop some coin on protecting your home. And take a layered approach. I can understand the cost of fencing, we own 5 acres and were fortunate not to need to fence three sides of the property. The neighbors on either side and behind already fenced their own properties before we bought ours and all we needed to fence was the 350ft along the road, but it still wasn't that cheap.

I don't understand why it makes a difference if you live within a city limit, unless there is a city code that prevents you from installing a fence around your house. But when we did the front of ours we just went with wire and post. We added a standard 12 ft farm gate and we splurged for an electric (solar) gate opener just for my wife's convenience. The fence and gate won't stop a determined thief but it will add an additional obstacle. If you can't install a fence of any kind due to city code you maybe able to install an electrified "livestock fence" nearer the house. (So it's no where near the property line and where anyone who gets shocked would already be trespassing) A lot of people won't mess with an electrified livestock fence.

As mentioned, cameras. The more, the better. Put a few to cover the approaches, but to make it easy for the Poe-poe to ID the crooks, you gotta get a few installed at eye level or below because most crooks like to hide their faces with hoodies or ball caps which a high mounted camera won't capture well or at all. And put a camera where if someone drove up, it can see the license plate, like on a tree or post along the driveway, pointed towards the house.

Besides cameras, get motion detectors. Some work off of wi-fi and can warn you on your phone via app.

Don't leave anything around thats easy to grab. You should consider cleaning off your carport (and stick a camera there) If you can, put a shed behind the carport that you can lock up and still have everything conveniently there by the carport.

If you have bushes in your front yard for privacy, consider removing them, some thieves love that privacy.

For more advanced ideas, consider getting involved in a neighborhood crime watch and/or put wifi cameras out which all neighbors involved can access.

Hope this helps
Ed

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most of the items this guy took weren't all that heavy. The OD unit was the heaviest and it was probably only 30 lbs or a little over. There was a 4bt head on the workbench that he didn't bother. That sucker is near 100 lbs. Fencing is just not an option. Doing only the front wouldn't help. That leave the back and sides wide open. I'm surrounded by open fields in those area and you could drive in from those areas. Plus the land around the house is farmed so you have to have open access for the equipment.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah those were just ideas I was throwing out, to help. Without a fence, you'll probably have to turn to technology and maybe getting together with the neighbors….I wouldn't doubt that your other neighbors may have had stuff disappear too and if you can combine resources, everyone maybe that much more secure.

Ed

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, whoever did this has done that before. Took their time to get what they wanted and that Gearvendor unit is amazing they were able to sniff that out. Like mentioned before time for some cameras and maybe an alarm system.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts