Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Char,

Thanks for the head gasket movies.

I saw a Texas TV builder use a thicker timing gear cover, all Al. Does anyone know of a source? Anyone used one?

Thanks, Ed in CO.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
There are a few companies, Wild Diesel, DAP & D&J make stock replacement. Other than seeing one in person I don't have any personal experience with them.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Ed, curious why would you need a thicker timing gear cover? Now, if you plan on an adjustable timing gear that requires a custom cover which several companies make. Also, those units only fit the P pump engines. Of those, the one from Diesel Auto Power is the least expensive at $355 and requires no special mods to use it. One other benefit those may have is improved noise reduction. I'd think that piece of billet aluminum may dampen sound a bit better than the OEM sheet metal cover. They also look nice.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Char,
I was just looking for a stiffer, thus less oil leakage solution, plus slight noise reduction, but at that price, I am not interested.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Yes Ed, those covers aren't cheap. They use an O ring oil seal which is vastly superior to a gasket and some noise reduction should be in the picture as well. They also have billets tappet covers which are nice but a bit pricey too. Heck, it's only money and you can't take it with you, but we do try anyway. LOL.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Char1355,

New topic. I have an offset fan bearing mount, 3911660. A week or so ago, you mentioned the number for the central mount one. Could I get that number from you unless it turns out to be best for my truck?

Thank you, Ed in CO

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,654 Posts
Char1355,

New topic. I have an offset fan bearing mount, 3911660. A week or so ago, you mentioned the number for the central mount one. Could I get that number from you unless it turns out to be best for my truck?

Thank you, Ed in CO
The center mounted fan support is 3923004, 91.5-93 Dodge CTD
(edited the year application)

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Char, I saw one today, still mounted, so I couldn’t get the number. Mounts with a rectangular bolt pattern quite a bit higher than the offset mount one I have. CPL 2685, would mount the fan very high, have to measure my engine compartment. Probably longer drive belt too. I did get the water exit manifold off the rear of the engine, though.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
That fan hub uses the same bolt holes as the offset type. Here's a photo of one mounted. There is an industrial hub mount that places the hub in a slightly higher position. That one mounts on the head instead of the block. See second photo. That one extends out just as far as the offset mount. Also, uses a different clutch fan. Those hubs are not very expensive because they were used on tons of 4bt and 6bt engines. The clutch for one is kind of pricey since many of those had straight fan blade only.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Char, the one I found yesterday mounts to the head like in the picture, no use getting that one, thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Yeah, I have one of those in my spare parts. Actually, I have one of the IC type too. Bought that one about 10 years ago with plans to use it but switched gears when I designed my AC mount. I'd almost forgot about it. It was kind of pricey even then but I was still working some so I had a bit more money. Was nowhere near what they sell for today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts