Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Thinking about 4runner tdi

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  jdoanderson 
#1 ·
K am wanting to replace my tired 2.4 in my 4runner with a tdi and have been doing alot of reading. I am left with a few questions, I will be doing all custom exhaust and swapping my battery and air box puting the airbox o the exhaust side of the engine perfect for a turbo setup but I want to know what aditinal guadges I should be installing. I'd obviously want a boost guadge and a wait to start light. It is a small truck with a manual transmission so Trans temp shouldn't be a big isue. The stock cluster has oil, volt, temp, fuel, tach and speed. I am already thinking about fuel press since that is the curent problem I am having. I have never had a diesle befor so I don't know what exactly I need to keep an eye on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Which TDi are you going with? Are you keeping the computer and wire harness associated with it? If so, you should probably figure out how to integrate the gauge cluster associated with the donor computer. If you are going with an mTDi, then you can use your current computer as a gauge mule and add boost and egt gauges. Not sure fuel pressure is going to be an issue with a pre 04 TDi as they had a lift pump built into their VE pump. The 04-07 had an in tank lift pump that feed the tandem pump before the PD injectors. A lot of folks installed these in tank lift pumps in the tanks of modified VE equipped cars to force feed the VE pump and keep the it happy. Keep in mind that the super high fuel economy of the TDi comes the tuning in the computer as it controls injection quantity and the way the turbo responds, based on sensor data and user input; so if you're planning on going the mTDi route, don't expect the 50mpg's that are common for eTDi vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I've been the planing and parts acquisition stage of a ALH Wagoneer swap,I plan to use a MTDI VE and compounds to reach the 300 ft/lbs@2,000 RPM ta a base altitude of 5,000'.
Dougal our resident turbo guru crunched some numbers for me and came up with a recipe so I'll Quote him.....

"Best I can do with wastegated compounds

GT1544 Garrett with 0.34 A/R turbine housing (p/n 454082-2) and Td04-13T (or Td04L) with 6cm turbine housing.

Wastegate the TD04 to ~14psi.
Wastegate the GT1544 to ~35psi

Should deliver ~410Nm at 2000rpm and 98kw at 3000rpm tapering off a little to 90kw 4000rpm.
All at ~2000m altitude.

These are mapping out quite nicely. Garrett is in it's best efficiency early. MHI is in it's best efficiency at higher rpm.

You'll need airfilters capable of 300CFM, injection pump set to ~85cc/1000 shots, a big front mount intercooler and this should be a clean tune at 18:1 A/F."

I hope this helps your planing.

Reactions: Dougal
#4 ·
I would be keeping the 4runner dash and Judy deleting the imobilizer on the ecu for the tdi. Speed comes from the Trans oil, volt amd gas aren't fed through the ecu I'd just need to pull temp which I'm not sure if it runs through the ecu. I'm not expecting to see 50mpg (not even my motorcycle sees 50) but the warnout 22re is geting around 12 now

#5 ·
So I found a 1.9 jetta that had been wrecked with the engine in good shape but the problem is it has a auto transmition. Dose anybody know what goes in to flashing the ecu to be used on a manual transmition? I'd love to buy a whole car so that I can get all the wireing and ecu with the engine then I could sell off the transmition and bits out of the car before dragging the leftovers to the junk yard

#6 · (Edited)
Use vagcom to change a value. It's that easy. There are other physical modifications, though, that need to be made to the wiring harness such as switching wires to the ecu, etc. You can go on tdiclub to find the write up for the auto to manual swap to get details and pictures of the specifics. There is also a vagcom, or vcds, locator to find someone in your area with a computer to help you with the adaptation in your ecu software. You may consider spending the 300 bucks to get your own vcds from rosstech since you'll need it for setting timing and such anyways

#7 ·
Considered a toyota engine?

The 1KZ-T while not direct injection was available fully mechanical. Several people have also made mechanical injection conversions on the commonrail 16V 1KD-FTV engines.

The great advantage of these engines is they fit a 4runner like they were made to.

#10 ·
The auto TDi engines came with an 11mm injection pump--more desirable for building, yes. But they also came with a size smaller injector nozzle. Folks in the TDi world will swap manual injectors into auto engines for a nice little bump in power. The real fun starts when you get into PP764 nozzles with a vnt17/22 turbo on an 11mm pump. I swapped a 12mm pump head from a 4bt onto my injection pump and could break the tires loose going into 3rd. Had a regrind from Franko6 for my cam and a rocket chip stage 5 tune. What a fun little car that was!

sent from mobile device - please excuse my Swypos

#12 ·
A guy I work with did a 1.9 into an 85 4Runner. It's been an adventure but he's also an idiot and has had to have a shop correct everything he tries. Initially he used a mechanical injection pump but combined with the high gearing in his axles he had drivability issues. Last I heard he had the shop convert it back it computer controlled injection and put on larger tires.

#13 ·
I looked at both options and in the end for me mechanical injection is the best but.........that's me.
after all I've been through with the VE on my 4BT I know it through and through and can easily tune it by getting my hands dirty, if I ran the computer controlled VE I would either need to start the learning curve over in a field that is not my strongest or pay to have someone else do it. The fact that I have enough parts laying around to build a pump is just icing on the cake.
I'm expecting that with compounds and at this altitude I'll be spending quite a bit of time tuning it and that could get expensive in labor.

#17 ·
4Runner Tdi

don't know if you're still looking into doing this but I just got a 4Runner a month ago and browsing on youtube, came across this guy he's got a build-up series as well as a blog showing his buildup. I can't post links yet but his name is Brantley Smith, look for tdi 4runner; he might actually be on here

#18 ·
don't know if you're still looking into doing this but I just got a 4Runner a month ago and browsing on youtube, came across this guy he's got a build-up series as well as a blog showing his buildup. I can't post links yet but his name is Brantley Smith, look for tdi 4runner; he might actually be on here
My 4runner was actually totaled in may when a tree fell on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.