Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completely stock CPL 857 with the A/W Aftercooler.
3.73 gears and 35" tires, NV4500.

Truck is a little sluggish off the line. From what I can put together from reading, here's the plan... (?)

-12cm or 9cm exhaust housing (to spool her up faster)
-3200 GSK
-Turn the smoke screw up 1/2 to 1 turn.

This sound like it might do my trick?
-Scotty

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I would ditch the a/w cooler. Seams to me the engines run far stronger with the silly thing removed. I think they are maxed out trying to cool 120 HP.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no room for an air/air intercooler though, unless it's 1/8" thick and fits around the fan pulley.

-Scotty

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I mean they run better without it, as in non-intercooled. If you can fit an air-air that's great, but if not I'd choose none over the stock a/w.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,658 Posts
Completely stock CPL 857 with the A/W Aftercooler.
3.73 gears and 35" tires, NV4500.

Truck is a little sluggish off the line. From what I can put together from reading, here's the plan... (?)
...cut....
-Scotty
If your talking about a 2nd gear start I can see why, 3.73 gears and 35"s!
I run 3.73's with 33"s and it's a perfect match, IMHO. Lower your tyre size or change your gears.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Don't mess with the smoke screw. Turn up the full fueling screw until you're right before a runaway. Grind the washer down inside the AFC and shell run like a banshee. Also make sure you have full throttle travel.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would ditch the a/w cooler. Seams to me the engines run far stronger with the silly thing removed. I think they are maxed out trying to cool 120 HP.
I did that once and I felt a loss of power and had around 1500°F EGT's :eek:
When I put it back on I felt the power come back and my EGT's went down. Plus the EGT's don't climb as fast. I am using a Modified H1C with a 14 cm3 exhaust housing and a 54mm compressor running POD injectors and also have my pump turned up about 1-1/2 turns. With out the a/w cooler cruising at 55 60 mph my EGT's were running around 1100°f to 1200°f. That is too high for cruising speed.. When I put it back on it went to 900°f to 1000°f. I think it is better than nothing... I have a a/a cooler that I am going to be putting in soon. I should see lower temps with that and more power..

my .02¢

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not doing 2nd gear starts anymore since I went from 4.88's to 3.73's. Just the shifts between 2-3, 3-4 where it falls flat on its face. I drive a hill every morning and the turn onto that road merges with traffic coming off of the highway (60mph), so I have to wait until there's a huge space (or the light turns red) so I don't get rearended when I turn that corner.

I don't want anything huge, just enough to make that jump more bearable.
-Scott

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
just the 3200 rpm spring should help, you can run her up a bit higher before shifting so you can still be in the power band once you shift.

·
Registered
232 Posts
anyone used meth/H2O injection instead of an aftercooler? Seems there would be less turbo lag, more power. Thoughts?
ps, when people talk about 35" tires, is that the outside diameter of the tire?

·
Banned
227 Posts
Put it in 4low if you want torque/// What i did with my big 6bt. I put a big turbo. big injectors big exhuast big intake and then bumped the fuel up. Now i have alot of power.bounce bounce

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
anyone used meth/H2O injection instead of an aftercooler? Seems there would be less turbo lag, more power. Thoughts?
ps, when people talk about 35" tires, is that the outside diameter of the tire?
yup, it's somewhat vague just because it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts