Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read about this forum on the TDR. It really looks nice, should be real helpful and a lot of fun. I am into the Dodge Power Wagons, kind of heavy LOL. I have a 1943 WC53 Carryall powered with a 4BTA (CPL-857), NV-4500 married to a NP-205 T case. Presently in build with a planned roll out in the spring is a 1954 M37 with the same engine/drive line. When the M37 rolls out, I am dropping a 4BTA in my WM-300 Power Wagon (Bumblebee) for a quick summer job. Then I start building my Power Wagon Swivel Frame (DevilBear) also to be powered with a 4BTA. I love fabrication, diesel conversions and HATE the paint and finish work.....but it has to be done LOL. Everything is done in my own shop. I have a Image Event Site set up with pictures of my trucks and a lot of "How To' Albums related to Power Wagons.

I took my 1943 Carryall to Labrador in 2005 for a 3411 mile trip. She ran faultless, just a sticky door lock in Newfoundland required some graphite lube. My plan is to drive my M37 to Alaska once complete and road proven.

The URL for my Web Pictures is;
http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple

Of special interest may be;
Trans Labrador 2005
1943 Dodge Carryall
Bumblebee Power Wagon
M37 Bandit
PW Devil Bear

Best Wishes for the new forum

Paul(in NY)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys this one is an indespensible resource to have on here. Very knowledgable, friendly and has done some of the most meticulous work I've seen yet.

Paul did you find another source for the 4BTA's?

Thanks,

Jim... also in NY

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jim;

Yes, I now have 3 spare 4BTA's for my future projects. By this summers end, all my Power Wagons will be oil burners.

Thanks for the kind words, I am just a home hobbiest that has fun working on the old iron.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
WOW what a stable of toys.... Excellent work.. can you tell me do your 4bt's have balance shafts or what are you doing for mounts to help without?? Tigman www.swainsspring.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Paul I'm the one who keeps saying that I grew up in town right around the corner in Keene.. Someday when I'm home visiting I would love to look up you and your sugaring operation, and of course all of those awesome powerwagons!

Sounds like you have a good lead on the 4BTAs also..! I was pretty happy when my last bread truck turned out to have a 4BTA in it as well. This current one is a 4BT but that is fine with me, most of the parts are the same, just a little more fuel.. Word on the street is this/next year Frito lay is going to start releasing some of their later bread trucks with the 4BTAs so they are not all dried up yet. Most of these are the air/air intercooled versus the water but still pretty neat... Paul could you maybe speak about your top speed, curious with those 4.89s, probably the fastest speed for those axles I imagine?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tigman;

I use 1989-1993 Dodge Diesel isolators in the front (actual steel mouts are my own design) and NAPA 602-1258 for the Rear of the NV-4500's which screw right into the threaded mount holes. I have no problems with vibration. I dont own any Cummins with Balanceing.

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dieselcrusierhead or how about DCH, saves Typing LOL.

I remember you saying you lived in Keene on a post over on the TDR. Golly, you are always welcome here. Love to show you around. Email me when your going to be in the area and we will meet for sure. I am easy to find.........I never have trouble finding my home LOL

My Carryall & Power Wagon will run at any legal highway speed. I was running the Carryall at 75 on Auto Route 20 in Quebec. However I feel the best safety is about 60 mph. At 60 mph I get 29.x MPG turning 1950 R's. This is with a CPL-857, NV-4500 married to a NP-205 turning 4.89 ring and pinions and 36 inch tires. My overall fuel use on the Labrador Trip was 25.9115 over 3411 miles. This included 539 miles a primitive gravel road running 20-30 mph for hours. The curb weight of my Carryall is 7300#. My M37 now in final build weighs much less and has the exact same engine/driveline. I expect better than 30 mpg at 60 mph on 'good' roads.

The latest group of 4BTA's I bought are CPL 767 and 1260 which feature CAC. Its nearly impossible to run CAC on a Power Wagon, just no place to run plumbing to the CAC. That is why I run Liquid/Air aftercoolers. I hope to find someone that has 2 Liquid/air AfterCoolers and wants CAC.....as Monte Hall said 'Lets make a deal' ha ha.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Paul,

I don't think we've talked since I picked up the Mercedes Benz oil burner. It's 20 yrs old but it still makes my 04 Ram feel primative.

300K and it starts like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Those are some AMAZING things you do Paul! So VERY KEWL 40's and 50's vehicles with lovely Cummins power!

I can only hope to one day be able to put a 4BT into a fairly modern 1/2 ton!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts