Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering putting a 6 or 4 BT in my 81 C30. I’m expecting the swap will be cheaper then buying a new ranch truck For haul/towing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you are looking for "cheaper," two questions.

What's wrong with the motor you got now? And, how many miles a year does the truck do?

Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a 383 stroker, with a SM 465. It keeps over heating. I have been through two other used 350 and rebuilt this 383 it still runs hot. Next step is to overhaul a SM 420 I got replace the head gaskets and resurface the heads. I can get it done for about $400. Not more then 3,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cooling system is new, even went as far as adding an electric fan to it. Still running the clutch fan, though I considered removing it to take some of the stress of the engine. No AC.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, umm, at 3k miles a year, I don't see how a Cummins swap will be anything other than a lot more expensive than some gas GMC alternative.

I think the Cummins makes financial sense only in high-miles-per-year trucks. They also make non-financial sense when dudes just want a Cummins, regardless of cost/benefit.

I can imagine your cooling issue is frustrating. I would suggest paying for a block test...to confirm whether or not you are leaking exhaust into the cooling system.

Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine was just fully rebuilt, all that was done during the rebuild process. No exhaust in the radiator I’ve already checked that. Re working the heads would just be a precautionary, so there’s no guessing. Transmission is old and worn out that may be putting extra stress on the engine. Diesel engines run at lower RPM’s and tend to generate less heat then gas powerd engines. A Cummins is hard to beat, and from what I understand the easiest swap would be to go with a BT. The 350 I had just couldn’t handle a 10,000 lb trailer load, so I rebuilt the 383.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,658 Posts
In my opinion, if your towing/hauling 10,000 lbs, that's Diesel territory. Definitely go for the 6BT.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
One thing about the diesel, you will need a different transmission than the SM420. Those are strong but that unit has no overdrive gear. Since this is 2wd you could use a Dodge NV4500 or maybe better would be an NV5600.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don’t waste your time with the 4bt. You can get a 6bt for the same price. You will need a diesel tranny in either case which doubles the price of your swap. You will end up spending a considerable amount of money for this swap but will not be disappointed with hauling performance. Though you will never “make you money back” driving 3k a year. My $.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts