Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through forums at several ways people created throttle linkage configuration and when I went to go look at my motor I see the two spots and the one currently being used (#1) springs back while the one on the right (#2) doesn't spring back. Also, do both of these do the same thing? Or do I need to use the one on the right(#2)? Just wanted to double check before I start fabricating a setup for it and since most of the post I looked through all use the (#2) spot figured there may be a reason, also should this one spring back into place like the other spot?

One other quick question, what is this connection for in second picture behind the fuel filter?

Motor vehicle Gas Nut Auto part Machine
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Vehicle Gas Auto part

Thank You for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
#1 is attached to the shutoff solenoid.
#2 should be your throttle connection
The fitting below the pump is the crankcase breather

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Blackduck has pretty well covered it. Looks like you have the P7100 injection pump. That fuel shut down solenoid location is a little different than some but there were several different placements. I am a bit curious about that bent control arm coming out of the solenoid. If you give me the serial number of the engine I'll look on Quick Server to see if that matches the OEM specs. The crankcase breather part will normally have a rubber hose connected to it so any condensation drips fall onto the pavement instead of the side of the block.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you so much! Have run into couple situations now were things looked a little different on this motor than images I see on here and wasn't sure if maybe this motor was being used for something other than a vehicle.

I believe this may be the serial number 45836448 (was the number had saved and used on cummins part site)

Also, that shut down solenoid is right in the way of most of the designs I was looking at replicating for the linkage and wasn't sure if this was something should keep or if this was more for whatever this motor was being used for before.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Would appear to have a power steering pump on it so guess it was vehicular of some sort.
What does it have for a flywheel?
If the shutoff lever is not keyed you can move the shutoff solenoid to where ever it suits.

The Serial number is on that tag shown in the last pic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe it had a flywheel on it when I got it. I was mainly confused since on several linkage setups I was looking at pictures of I didn't see this shutoff solenoid and linkage like my motor had and didn't know if they just have it mounted somewhere else. For instance this first image below I didn't see the shutoff solenoid so wasn't sure if people just have this mounted somewhere else on motor or if there are other ways to run it.

Would easiest solution just be to leave the solenoid where it is and just come up with solution around this?

Also, this is the first diesel motor I have owned along with the first motor swap I have attempted and this is the one area that I am the most confused in regards to. I may be completely wrong here: would this linkage go to the throttle cable coming off my Hmmwv gas pedal and basically control the throttle (so when press gas pedal would move this), however the transmission kit (Compushift) comes with a cable operated TPS and does this also connect to this linkage as well? In other words, I will have two cables connected to this linkage one going to pedal and other going to cable operated TPS box that comes with compushift setup?

Then this shut off solenoid I'm assuming this is connected to the key and when you turn vehicle off/on it controls this and shuts off fuel? I see that my military Hmmwv had a shut off solenoid as well so would assume just have to connect this up to the hmmwv wires that controlled stock motor shut off solenoid. My only concern though is that my Hmmwv is 24v and when looked up in regards to the shut off solenoid it mentioned being 24v and would assume this one on the 4bt is 12 volt so wasn't sure if there was a simple way to connect this or if there are other options that may be easier. Would it be worth replacing with a 24v solenoid?

If I butchered this above I apologize, trying the best I can to understand and explain this. Thank you again for your help and bearing with me here. As i mentioned this is the one part that confuses me the most and trying to understand.
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering
Bumper Automotive tire Machine Auto part Machine tool

Here is a picture of the tag
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive wheel system Font

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
That engine serial number is a CPL1839 and those were only used in road vehicles. The shut off solenoid was standard equipment on the engine. When the ignition key is turned on there is 12V sent to a relay which feed the power to the solenoid. That thing pulls a lot of power on start up. The photos you have are ones where the solenoid has been removed and pump is turn on and off with a mechanical cable. If you look at that first photo, you see the OEM bracket for the solenoid which was mounted in a vertical position instead of horizontal like yours. There are 24V solenoids but none of these 4bt P7100 injection pumps were ever used in a military application. The 6bt P7100 would be the same unit and some of those do come in 24V. According to OEM specs, the shut off solenoid was mounted in a vertical position. That mount on your engine is one that was custom made for some special reason. Here is the drawing of the original which is like the one in your photo #1. There is a TPS for the P7100 that would have been on the '94-98 Dodge Cummins. Here is a site that shows the bracket and sensor. 5.9L Cummins Throttle Position Sensor Bracket. I believe that one would fit your 4bt but I never assume something like that. If you have to use the Dodge throttle linkage for the TPS you better have someone standing by with smelling salts. Those parts are around $1000 and no, that's not a misprint. Most of our swaps are manual but we do have automatics too so maybe one of those members can help you sort that part out.
Font Parallel Auto part Circle Engineering

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't believe it had a flywheel on it when I got it. I was mainly confused since on several linkage setups I was looking at pictures of I didn't see this shutoff solenoid and linkage like my motor had and didn't know if they just have it mounted somewhere else. For instance this first image below I didn't see the shutoff solenoid so wasn't sure if people just have this mounted somewhere else on motor or if there are other ways to run it.

Would easiest solution just be to leave the solenoid where it is and just come up with solution around this?

Also, this is the first diesel motor I have owned along with the first motor swap I have attempted and this is the one area that I am the most confused in regards to. I may be completely wrong here: would this linkage go to the throttle cable coming off my Hmmwv gas pedal and basically control the throttle (so when press gas pedal would move this), however the transmission kit (Compushift) comes with a cable operated TPS and does this also connect to this linkage as well? In other words, I will have two cables connected to this linkage one going to pedal and other going to cable operated TPS box that comes with compushift setup?

Then this shut off solenoid I'm assuming this is connected to the key and when you turn vehicle off/on it controls this and shuts off fuel? I see that my military Hmmwv had a shut off solenoid as well so would assume just have to connect this up to the hmmwv wires that controlled stock motor shut off solenoid. My only concern though is that my Hmmwv is 24v and when looked up in regards to the shut off solenoid it mentioned being 24v and would assume this one on the 4bt is 12 volt so wasn't sure if there was a simple way to connect this or if there are other options that may be easier. Would it be worth replacing with a 24v solenoid?

If I butchered this above I apologize, trying the best I can to understand and explain this. Thank you again for your help and bearing with me here. As i mentioned this is the one part that confuses me the most and trying to understand.
View attachment 134035 View attachment 134036

Here is a picture of the tag
View attachment 134034
So I am building this very set up with a 47RH tranny... I haven't tried it yet but I think i have it correct... Mine is a VE pump so the design is going to be different.... I started with the Throttle plate off a 24V ( 1999_ and modified from there.. more when I remount it and I'll post pictures of what i did... then there is the control of the Lock-up and Overdrive... I have a schematic and switching plan.. so I activate the LU and OD but the brakes shuts them off.. hope this helps
White Font Line Motor vehicle Auto part
White Font Line Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,888 Posts
Here's another way to hook up throttle and engine stop on a 4BT with a P-pump. All mechanical, no solenoids.

Attachments

Reactions: Russ McLean
1 - 9 of 9 Posts