Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the VE pump. My question is, why does the throttle arm move so far, then stop, then it can move further under more spring tension. Almost like it is a 2-stage throttle?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It prevents the throttle cable from bottoming out the throttle linkage and overstressing it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So once it hits the first stop, that is max throttle correct? the throttle lever apprears to move about 45* at the first stop, then all the way is about 60*
I am putting together linkage for the 700r4 TV cable. So total sweep on a 4bt is 45* a gasser is 90* I will have to make the linkage account for this.

·
Registered
854 Posts
So once it hits the first stop, that is max throttle correct?
Correct. The other spring on the throttle arm is to prevent you from breaking the arm off when you stand on the right pedal!

·
Registered
44 Posts
So once it hits the first stop, that is max throttle correct? the throttle lever apprears to move about 45* at the first stop, then all the way is about 60*
I am putting together linkage for the 700r4 TV cable. So total sweep on a 4bt is 45* a gasser is 90* I will have to make the linkage account for this.
Jcrow,
Could you post some pictures and measurements when you're done. I haven't quite decided how I'm going about mine and would appreciate seeing how you went about it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The secondary spring action there is called the "breakover spring". That throttle stop is the high idle or "no load" adjustment. I removed my high idle screw and have the throttle pedal shimmed out from the firewall so I get the most throttle travel I can get. It increased travel sigificantly, power and top speed...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats good to know, i'll have to make sure im getting the full throw. I also found out the gasser throttle moves 78* rather than the 90* I wrote in a previous message. This is the same for a rochester quadrajet and a TBI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts