Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wood Automotive wheel system
Does anyone know of a tighter elbow, say 120 degrees, that would fit on an HX-35W?

Thanks, Ed in CO

·
Vendor
2,674 Posts
Looks close to a 120 in pic. Tighter would be closer to 0. A 90 is available and is tighter

Reactions: SUBRUTUS

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
YES & I believe you can get 90* at truck parts places . I'd say just walk into a cummins part store. & If not to the FRIGHT LINNER PART. WHERE I worked was just a independent parts store . we had some of every thing . One of our parts guys would say tell me what you need come back in 2 days I'll have it here . He'd take you phone number & Was pretty good at not forgetting .

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might end up getting a mandrel bent piece and welding it in.

Anyone seen or tried welding elbows on water fitting, bottom, front, right side of engine?
Thanks, Ed in CO

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Remember If you do happen to WELD UP AN elbow be sure & clean the inside , so no dingle berry's can get into your turbo . While I worked for the DODGE HOUSE We had out local machine shop weld on one & It came back to us with trash left in it . Our shop manager made the other repair shop pay for a new Turbo .
i FELT IT WAS AS MUCH OUR fault as it was that other shop . But about 10 other Techs & service people told me how wrong I was .. I STILL feel the way I did.
But it can get costly . Just a warning .

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember If you do happen to WELD UP AN elbow be sure & clean the inside , so no dingle berry's can get into your turbo . While I worked for the DODGE HOUSE We had out local machine shop weld on one & It came back to us with trash left in it . Our shop manager made the other repair shop pay for a new Turbo .
i FELT IT WAS AS MUCH OUR fault as it was that other shop . But about 10 other Techs & service people told me how wrong I was .. I STILL feel the way I did.
But it can get costly . Just a warning .
Thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't mean to jack the thread, but Why do autos come with an Hy35 and standards with an Hx35? What's the difference between the two?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
.... IF IT'S LIKE WHEN I worked for Chrysler / Dodge .. the motors in the pickups AutoMatics didn't have as much HP as did the STD. Trans trucks .
... Someone may want to say I'm wrong

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Cruising through Diesltuff's site and he has a 90 elbow in the First gen turbo section.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just happened to notice your question about welding up a lower radiator hose connection. Can’t remember what size black pipe I used but here’s the one I brazed up. If you have any pinholes after pressure testing just flow a little solder over it. Mines got over 13000 miles with no problems.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Machine

·
Vendor
2,674 Posts
I think ww's offsets high the 4939647 comes in low. In Ford apps its into a crossmember.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts