·
Registered
136 Posts
I somehow doubt that... ;)

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's certainly tough but not indestructible.
Material thickness is about 0.030", just happened to have some laying around and figured I'd try working with and welding it, it's not terribly difficult.

Grigg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is it commercially pure? I welded some of that and it welds excellent. 6al4v was a bit tricky.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Guessing you had to Tig weld it together. .030" is about as thick as some wire used in wirefeed MIG. When I read the title I was thinking you had used like 24ga sheet metal titanium but youd need one big brakepress for that. Was it all welds or did you put a few bends in it? If so how'd you manage to bend it or is it like bending thin sheet metal steel?

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually 0.030" is more like 22 ga, which is thicker than 24. Bent it in a normal finger brake, it bends real easy. Seam around the center is TIG welded, mostly without any filler added.

Grigg

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think you are on to something here.:idea: I've never seen a titanium case,lol.

·
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks,

I ended up making one for an Ipad a few months ago for a charity auction fundraiser thing, it was quite popular.
Did a better job on the welding and more interesting/detailed design bent in the covers to stiffen it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts