Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals. Just joined a while ago. Introduced myself on another post. So I have a slight dilemma. I have a 2004 Dakota quad cab 2wd that the engine is shot. So I'm not wasting my time rebuilding the 4.7 or putting in a "new one". I have a 2000 gmc w3500 cab over sitting around that needs some things. It has a new head and turbo and the driver we had in the business ran the truck hot. needs new bearings. So I want to swap the engine and transmission into my Dakota. I will be doing an SAS out of an f250 later on once I start lifting and doing a 4wd conversion. So does anyone have an idea on a transfer case for this transmission? I believe it is an aw450. The 545rfe I have in the Dakota not sure if it will handle the torque of this one since it is only rated at 245lbs of torque or somewhat to that effect and this 4he1t produces over 300 ft/lbs. So any ideas /advice is welcomed. I'm giving my '03 sierra 2500hd 4x4 to my father and want to stay with diesel 4wd but something a little smaller. I was also thinking of maybe even swapping the dually axle too....馃い
It is there so why not? Maybe, lets see some thoughts on this!!!!!!!

Registered
I don鈥檛 think you鈥檇 be able to get the trans to mate with the t case, so about your only option is to use a divorced t-case (wheelbase is likely too short), or go with a Toyota HF2AV (offset rear output, passenger side front drop) which would lead to needing to likely use LandCruiser axles. The starter will likely be sitting where your gas pedal and part of your brake pedal is. It鈥檚 also really heavy for a light duty frame.

A couple things to look into:

Check out astr鈥檚 threads on fit Issues with his 4HE1T.

Read up on the 4HE1T, I feel like I read the block is made in such a way that the block is not rebuildable if it gets too hot and warps. Something to do with the way the crank is supported. I may be wrong.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. In regards to the frame I鈥檓 not worried about it. The reason being is that these Dodge Dakotas are built like their big Ram brothers...so that is an advantage...Regarding the starter I have to see if it is on the passenger side or driver鈥檚, thought it was on the passenger. So if it is on the passenger side I can massage the firewall/footwell to accommodate. These Dakotas have a driver side transfer case and ifs unit like on my 03 duramax. This engine does have the exhaust on the drivers side so there are a lot of things to consider...Have a 350 vortec with 4l60e I can also swap instead of this one!!!! That鈥檚 why I have this question to do this or not, also the engine having been overheated has me on edge. Have to take everything apart and send it out and do so much to make sure it is good and the buy the bottom end rebuild for it....Have to think....馃ぃ馃槀馃ぃ

Registered
Thanks for the response. In regards to the frame I鈥檓 not worried about it. The reason being is that these Dodge Dakotas are built like their big Ram brothers...so that is an advantage...Regarding the starter I have to see if it is on the passenger side or driver鈥檚, thought it was on the passenger. So if it is on the passenger side I can massage the firewall/footwell to accommodate. These Dakotas have a driver side transfer case and ifs unit like on my 03 duramax. This engine does have the exhaust on the drivers side so there are a lot of things to consider...Have a 350 vortec with 4l60e I can also swap instead of this one!!!! That鈥檚 why I have this question to do this or not, also the engine having been overheated has me on edge. Have to take everything apart and send it out and do so much to make sure it is good and the buy the bottom end rebuild for it....Have to think....馃ぃ馃槀馃ぃ
Think and Think AGAIN... If you are seeing now this many unknowns and outright conflicts just wait till metal starts meeting metal, Been There Done That and between the basic conflicts involved in a swap and the inclination to want to save $$ where you can time and money start adding up FAST.
Every hour of research, planning, measuring and mockup you invest now will payoff tenfold in the long run...$.02

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Hey eggman, sorry for the late response. Been really busy here. So I went to the shop to look at the truck and it is actually a 1995 gmc w4500. It is a 4bd2t engine with the automatic. So my father told me the story on the truck that it overheated some. It still ran fine and he moved it around the parking lot of the old business. No knocking as far as I know either. So I figured I can put a new bottom end in. My plans for the truck are the following, it is a 2wd so I have room. I would like to swap in the 4bd2t with the tranny. Later on down the line is when I would like to do an sas and 4wd. Figured won鈥檛 be an issue with clearance since I will be lifting the truck about 6鈥/7鈥 . Not as extreme as my profile pic but something along those lines. Divorced t-case, dana 60 or something not too killer out front but strong enough for a good all around. Have to see after I swap if anything. I can fabricate and weld so it won鈥檛 be too bad. Also have a 10k lift here at the house. I can also just get a 350 vortec with a 4l60e in there and just put a gm transfer case and sas too. Carb for now and later on edelbrock efi. Either way I go I will have to fab up mounts, mess with the wiring to have my gauges work, abs etc... That鈥檚 what I have to figure out. I like the idea of the diesel, better range and low end for some exploring with the family. The sbc will have more pwr but gas gussler. Parts are plenty for the sbc, but the diesel will last forever if I take good care of it. My 03 duramax has over 355k miles, granted most where hwy but no major issues other than the injectors and running fine since. So I have that dilema buddy. I think the 4bd2t is all mechanical too. That will be great if it is. Good family off-roading and camping, light river crossings, you get the pic.....馃槀馃ぃ馃槀馃ぃ

Registered
I think you鈥檒l probably have a cracked head, which is more prevalent on the 2鈥檛鈥檚. Can probably leave the bottom end alone and and get a new head off eBay. Get the old head off and see if it鈥檚 warped, hopefully just the head is bad, and the block is good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Michael. Thanks for the input. The head was replaced with a completely new unit along with the turbo right before the overheated issue. It was a hose that broke and made it overheat. Still have to get the truck here to start taking the engine and transmission out. Figured the transmission is electronic but don鈥檛 know. Also I think this engine has a mechanical injection pump too correct?

Registered
Yep. It鈥檚 mechanical. The bottom ends of these are pretty robust, quite a few people slap a new head on after an overheat and are good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts