Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

First, Im broke, so this is down the road thinking.

I thought i had figured out what I need to do for a turbo. I didnt want to move my downpipe back towards the firewall because of space issues, but i think i want a bigger turbo. My solution was a to find a WH1C or an HX35 and swap the exhaust housing for a 12CM H1C with the short exhuast casting.

But now Im worried about backing up the Turbo at High RPM. Can this be an issue with a 12CM?

I know I could always do a chopped manifold and solve all the problems but Id rather not, at least right now.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I don't think you'd have a problem with a non wastegated 12cm housing.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A WH1C has a 12cm housing on it already, just don't hook up the wastegate. I can hit about 30-32 lbs easy, EGTs are very manageable and I have no problems with towing. Works pretty good to be a readily available stock turbo. In the future, after I have my injectors built, I might upgrade the compressor wheel and housing and maybe get a 14cm turbine housing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but the Housing on a WH1C is too long and would hit my firewall when the Exhaust was connected, thats why I was looking at swaping for a 1st gen short housing with no waste gate.

A WH1C has a 12cm housing on it already, just don't hook up the wastegate. I can hit about 30-32 lbs easy, EGTs are very manageable and I have no problems with towing. Works pretty good to be a readily available stock turbo. In the future, after I have my injectors built, I might upgrade the compressor wheel and housing and maybe get a 14cm turbine housing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
don't think your gonna have any problems with over speeding an hx35, buddy of mine has a 24valve and he plugged the wastegate on his hx35, hits about 35psi, no reliability issues. so if he can't overspeed it then unless you've got a turned up p-pump don't worry about it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sticky on turbos said that the h1c was 1" shorter than the wastegated turbos. And that you could get a short 1st gen 12cm housing. Is that not right?

The h1c,wh1c and Hx35 have the same lenght, you can get the long tip in the Non gated.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts