Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WAS LOOKING AT You Tube last night . As I need to pull my injectors... Someone said they used a lug nut & a bushing he'd found that fit over the injector.
Is it worth trying to find a Lug nut the correct size . Or just buy [ order ] a tool..
... & I was going to send my injectors to the rebuilder I used back when I had my parts store. He wanted $25.00 to do one thing to them & pop test them . & If that didn't fix them then he'd do something else & that cost $75.00 each .
... I noticed I can buy some on E-Bay for just $36.00. Are 36.00 injectors worth a try.
I don't put but maybe 400 miles a year on my Bronco.
...ADVISE THANKS.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Seems there was a write up here on the forum many years back about how to make a simple tool to pull injectors. If your injectors have the 12mm top threads I believe they are M12x1.5. Just happens that's also a size for some lug nuts. If you injectors are weak and not popping correctly they can certainly affect performance. A rebuilt injector will often hold its specs better than brand new. The internal springs relax over time but used springs don't do it as much. Just be sure in pulling them you don't spin them in their bore. They have a locating ball that will damage the bore. Could also use a slide hammer type puller.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I watched several You Tube vidios & I don't think there'll be much to it once we get the tool.
The young man that works on most of my stuff ordered it form one of the local parts stories & It's supposed to be here tomorrow. . That tool wasn't but about 19.95 I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used a 97 dodge lug nut welded on 1/2" pipe I had and a pair of old vise grips to hit with a hammer, worked great on my 12v and tdi's (ahu and alh). I could not find it when pulling injectors on my 335d and used a tdi injector line bend into a shepherd 's hook and a hammer. Anything will that threads onto the injector and will allows you to tap up will work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had to pull the #4 injector from my boat engine last summer. I borrowed a Cummins slide hammer type puller and it would not budge. I ended up buying a Tork Tech puller and it worked easy and fast. The injector fought me the entire way out and I had to use a wrench under the puller to get it out all the way. Still not sure what happened, but the injector showed signs of leaking even while installed. I noticed some black around it and decided to pull it. Maybe it was not seated correctly, but if you look at the pic it looks like it came from the Labrea Tar Pits

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had to pull the #4 injector from my boat engine last summer. I borrowed a Cummins slide hammer type puller and it would not budge. I ended up buying a Tork Tech puller and it worked easy and fast. The injector fought me the entire way out and I had to use a wrench under the puller to get it out all the way. Still not sure what happened, but the injector showed signs of leaking even while installed. I noticed some black around it and decided to pull it. Maybe it was not seated correctly, but if you look at the pic it looks like it came from the Labrea Tar Pits

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That injector looks like it would be a tough to pull. At my work years ago. one of the Techs pulled the end off an injector.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK WE got a tool off the internet cost 17.50 & Another 10.50 for shipping .
SO I got them ordered off the internet .. 4 COST ME $189.61 SHIPPED TO ME .I sure hope they get here faster than the Conformation said. It started out saying I'd get the Feb the 4th. I was fine with that. Later it said the 7th of Feb. But the Conformation note after the order was confirmed said Feb 11th.
I'm hoping for the 4th. But I'll bet it's more like the 11th.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
If they have been in for some time be careful when backing off the hold down nut. If it is tight on the injector it can damage the head and the injector. I ended up having to drill the nut alongside the injector on 3 of them and letting the nut expand a little along with a bunch of WD40. Hold the injector while rocking the nut and also smacking up and down with the slide hammer. Bunch of Anti-seize on the new injectors and new seals in the nuts.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks but mine came out in only about a minute each .
.. I've not heard of using Anti Seize ON THEM TO PUT THEM BACK INTO PLACE .. Anyone else use this. I sure use it on a tractor I have on it's spark plugs . Thanks Blackduck...

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
374 Posts
You can use anti-seize but make sure you don't get/put any on the nozzle itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts