Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to create a lightest tow veh with trailer to be under 10k l to transport animal feed (grain) between states I am using my 00 ranger with a 3-53 alu engine nv 4500 5 speed 231c transfer case 8.8 exployer rear for the disc brakes, with my 4990 lb trailer that weighs 1200 empty the rig weighs 6100 full of fuel the ranger is ok ~ with that weight and gets 18-20 mpg It is getting tired and I would like to put an other rig together. Is a vw engine ok? with a rover 6 speed I have seen a couple of builds but they have no towing info with them

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
When you talk about towing the one factor that comes into play is torque. The 3-53 is probably OK for a Ranger size truck but not a powerhouse. The 4-53T would be much better but you run into a problem with engine weight and physical size there. The VW diesels tend to be similar in power characteristics but don't have the torque and you can only expect so much from an engine around 2.0 L. They can be modified for more HP but the torque is on the low side. Here's a recent post of a vehicle and trailer of similar load to yours. Yukon road trip He's using a Cummins 4bt tuned to near 300 HP. Your 3.53 has 205 lb ft of torque @ 1800 RPM. His 4bt Cummins is probably well past 600 lb ft which is 3 times the power you currently have. Now you don't have to have 300 HP to do what you want but somewhere around 200 HP would be more reasonable than the 105 HP on your 3-53. Possibly one of the Mercedes 5 cylinders might be possible. They don't have the super high torque of a Cummins but might be better than the VW.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I would like to create a lightest tow veh with trailer to be under 10k l to transport animal feed (grain) between states I am using my 00 ranger with a 3-53 alu engine nv 4500 5 speed 231c transfer case 8.8 exployer rear for the disc brakes, with my 4990 lb trailer that weighs 1200 empty the rig weighs 6100 full of fuel the ranger is ok ~ with that weight and gets 18-20 mpg It is getting tired and I would like to put an other rig together. Is a vw engine ok? with a rover 6 speed I have seen a couple of builds but they have no towing info with them
On your trip transfering feeI. I don't suppose you come thru Stephenville & got close to the N.W. upper corner of Arkansas. DO YOU. Waldron Arkansas TO BE EXACT.
I have a friend that wants some horse feed made here in our area delivered to him. His money would be good , But I don't want to put the miles on my rig. Nor do I want to make a trip to Arkansas once a month.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had the ranger on the dyno made 77 hp at 2500 and 158 tq from 500 to 3000 at the wheels I was surprised of the flat tq curve It does well as a tow rig but I am on the fence of just freshening it up of making a new rig I have another 07 ranger to play with I also have a couple of 5 cyl merc 300 sd engines remember that I am looking for light weight I saw a fellow on this site named whitebread that runs a shop and he has a vw tow rig and he says it does fine towing another car 3500 lbs or so but it has two turbos and some good tuning

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey gladly run to you the ranger can move just about 4k and stay under the dot radar but if you need more I still have my tractor trailer and can move much more my 85 brig gmc 6-71 n 10 speed and 28 pup trailer can move more but on the radar talk soon

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your just going to just tow I would ditch the 4 wheel drive , to much drag losses in the drive train and extra weight, covert it to turbo and pick a extra 100 foot pounds of torque, and 30 or more
hp , the Mercedes’ om617 with turbo is only 125 hp and 170 pounds of torque, that is stock , my aluminum 3-53 project is on going , I’m looking for fuel mileage and decent pick up , good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm running a Ranger with a VW ALH and a 5spd. The engine is tuned (Malone 4) bigger injectors and turbo and exhaust.

I have towed about 3500 and did fine on level ground but the turbo was sitting at #23 on any hill. I think it is working too hard to do that ongoing.

It's a blast to drive empty or moderate loads.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Scot, your finding is pretty much correct. The smaller automotive diesels like VW or Mercedes can move the small pickup around just fine and can tow on mostly level ground. When exposed to more serious towing they tend to start losing the battle. That word "torque" comes into play and although they can have the HP it's the pulling power they don't produce. Their engines were designed for a car. Your 3500 lbs is the max rated towing for a Ranger.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the ranger 3-53 with the nv4500 3-73 gears is ok to tow with just have to watch the egt on hills but does ok been putting 6-700 miles a week on it and it's tired I only have a iron 3-53 a 4-71 and a f3l912 and 2 300 sd merc engines -----

·
Registered
95 Posts
At 10k GCVW I'd be wanting something that had enough mass to have command authority over the trailer. How much does the trailer typically weigh gross?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts