Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a scale of 1-10 how crazy am I? Im going to flat tow an 1967 M725 Kaiser Ambulance (5600lbs) with a 4bt Breadvan that I bought in Chicago, 1500 miles to Regina, Saskatchewan. Its gonna happen even if at only 45mph.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I don't think the needle on the "nuts" meter will go anything over "2" on the scale for that combo..

Though you will be reminded that "wind" is a four-letter word. Especially if the word "cross" is in front of it..

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
You mean tow something like this
With one of these

Is this right, 1,500 miles a 4BT, the lead truck is a big sail with not a whole lot of weight over the rear, and the following truck weighs as much or more than the lead truck?

I would say about a 7.5 on the crazy meter. Probably can be done, won't be much fun, and could be a disaster.

I towed the above truck 3,000 miles in less than 4 days, coast to coast. the COE weighed about 7,000 lb, and my lead truck weighed 10,000 empty, then I had 3,000lb in the bed for most of the trip, but not the last 400 miles or so. The last part was not much fun, I often got the feeling that the COE wanted to pass me, particularly after a big bump on the highway, only way to straighten things out was throw the fuel to it and yank it straight for a few seconds. I had a 6V53 Detroit with twin turbos, about 300HP, that worked to smooth things, you may not be so lucky with only a 4BT.

I don't think your bread van will weigh enough in relation to the towed truck, and both having lots of area for wind to catch could be bad. If the tail starts to wag the dog you can only hope it stops, as you don't have a way to work the brakes on the towed truck, and not enough power to drive out of it. If it were only a short trip I would try it, but 1,500 miles is a long way to flat tow a combination like that.

Grigg

·
Registered
182 Posts
I towed a bread truck with a bread truck about 1000 miles. Just remember your saftey chains and tow lights or you could end up with a big ticket! Good luck. Let us know how if goes!

·
Banned
427 Posts
I,D REMOVE ALL DRIVE SHAFTS,check diff lube levels ft. & rear, make sure all brakes are backed off on the m725, keep speeds to 55 mph max, leave alot of slow down room, dont follow closely, everytime you stop feel the front & rear hubs for heat issues. remember you cant back up..... make wide turns. get to motels early. avoid rush hour traffic areas.sure would be nice if you could pull front hub axle flanges and cap off also pull rear axle shafts and cap off also.....
that 4 bt will tow it with no issues.
P.S.
DONT FORGET YOUR TOOL BOX AND CELL PHONE.......
BOB

·
Registered
169 Posts
I towed the bread van home, on a trailer, with a 01' Dodge LB Ex-Cab single wheel an it still threw me all over the road. 55 MPH was the best I wanted to do. The Bread van and trailer was 11,951 lbs, this according to the NEB Port of Entry, who thought I was a Hot Shot.

As far as your question I'd say 8.5 on the nutzoid scale:rasta:

All the luck if you do though :dustin: :beer: :dustin:

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
And remember the M725 will be in your rear blind spot over 90% of the time so don't forget it's behind you!

·
Banned
427 Posts
one more thought you might want to consider. you know the m725 with stock tires & wheels will fit on a wide U-HAUL CAR TRAILER right...

·
Registered
169 Posts
one more thought you might want to consider. you know the m725 with stock tires & wheels will fit on a wide U-HAUL CAR TRAILER right...

Thats the best way i wouold do it if I had to.:dustin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
The M725 has an aluminum box on it and weighs less than 6,000 pounds in street trim. Crosswinds will be a bitch for sure!
Keep it slow you should be OK.

CD

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried to rent a U-Haul trailer to bring my 91 w250 home a couple weeks ago. (transfercase bearing started making noise). I wanted to use my 01 F-150 as the tow vehicle. Their computer said not recomended because the vehicle being towed was heavier than the tow vehicle, and they wouldn't rent me the trailer no matter how I tried to explain that the brakes on the trailer were sufficient and the truck was rated to pull the weight. Wound up pulling my picker truck with a 40 highboy out of the back 40 and going to get it that way. My point is that maybe U-Haul won't rent a trailer for that combo.
Ian

·
Registered
225 Posts
I recently towed 87 F-350 crew cab 4x4 with my 79 F-250 crew cab 4x4
4bta about 60 miles. Power wasnt a problem but 45mph was the absolute max. Very draining physically but can be done. Very slowly with lots of stops. Check with your buddies, ( I assume you will have one of these with you?), to see if any have a sway control hitch from an RV that you can use. Just now remembered mine, wish I had thought of it a month ago.
Carl

·
Registered
808 Posts
How do you plan to stop that combination in the event of a emergency
stop? For sure the Bread Van brakes cant handle the weight of the combination. Nail the bread van brakes hard and you may see the M715 pass you, taking you and it in a fast circle.

In the event of a tragic accident with life lost, think of your liability.
It would not take a expert witness long to prove your negligence in towing without brakes on the towed vehicle. They could probably come up with a lot more items to ruin your day and life forever.

Dont do it. Get a Trailer, rated for the weight of the M715.

Paul

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The one i bought is serial number 10041 and is absolutely cherry, a real cream puff. Zero rust, everything works, it even made the 1500 mile trip from northern michigan to Regina without a hiccup. The breadvan purchase fell through, probably a good thing considering the blizzard/freezing rain i encountered in Minnesota. I love my m725, i think ill keep it completely stock since its already in such complete and great condition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts