Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips for mods for my durango that will tow regularly? I want to be able to keep egt's manageable but still get some power gains. I have an HX35 to go on, but haven't put it on yet, i'm mainly looking for pump tuning tips.

Mileage is important as well. it is stock so far and it's pretty slow towing 7k, that's about 12k GVCW.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I installed the 3000 RPM "366" spring and turned up my pump following these instructions:
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

I did all four: smoke screw, star wheel, rotated diaphragm so fuel pin rides on lowest spot, and cranked full power screw. I went a little over borad, But I can always turn a few things back down. Really, once I start to pull a trailer loaded and if EGT's get too high I can just back down the full power screw. You'll have to reset the idle again.

You do have an intercooler, don't you?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the 3000 RPM "366" spring and turned up my pump following these instructions:
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

I did all four: smoke screw, star wheel, rotated diaphragm so fuel pin rides on lowest spot, and cranked full power screw. I went a little over borad, But I can always turn a few things back down. Really, once I start to pull a trailer loaded and if EGT's get too high I can just back down the full power screw. You'll have to reset the idle again.

You do have an intercooler, don't you?
I have the spring, just haven't had the guts to tear the pump open to put it in. I also wanted to figure out what to do once i was in there. That is the article i've been looking at. Is it just the fuel screw that I'd need to adjust to control EGT's?

I have an aftercooler.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My spring swap took a very long time because I discovered the fuel pin was stuck when I tried to pull the diaphragm out. I had to take the injector pump top to a injection shop to get the fuel pin unstuck. I cleaned everything and lubed with mobil 1 before assembling.

Don't be afraid, just be very careful and make sure everything is very clean and well lit. Spread out a large bed sheet underneath to catch any small parts. Getting the top back on the pump was tricky. Trying to adjust the idle speed screw sucks, so make a tool in advance by heating a 10mm wrench and bending it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts