3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm thinking some of you guys are towing with your 4BT and was wondering:

What size tow vehicle
What tweaks you might have done
How is your EGT
How much you tow

Hoping to hear from those who have done fairly mild upgrades, not twin turbos and P-pumps etc. as it's out of my budget, but any info appreciated.

Thanks! JimmieD

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm gonna answer about the feel and EGT's while under load as soon as the ice and snow melt in my driveway. I should be able to post something on this next weekend.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, D/W!

·
Vendor
2,651 Posts
Was asking about this on another thread. If A/C could be used with inter/aftercooler to improve EGTs and denser fuel charge, pretty sure gassers are with turbos and superchargers. Steep grades and towing would seem to benefit from this but am not sure. Guys tell me if it would.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think you mean to use an AC system to cool the intake charge instead of the inside of the vehicle right?

If thats the case then I don't think it would do much good. By running the AC compressor you will be adding additional load to the engine which would probably negate any cooling benefit you'd see.

For a short spurt just to drop EGT's on a hill climb or something it might work but it sure seems like alot of money and time to keep from slowing down a bit while towing.

I'd probably try one of those CO2 intercooler sprayers I see for rice burners first :)

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
That method was done on the Ford Lightning pickup a few years ago. It was intended as a short burst duration event.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm thinking some of you guys are towing with your 4BT and was wondering:

What size tow vehicle
What tweaks you might have done
How is your EGT
How much you tow

Thanks! JimmieD
Tow vehicle: 1980 Scout, 4300 lbs
Tweaks: stock fueling, timing too far advanced
EGT: can hit 900 F empty on a long grade if I don't down shift and back off the fuel. Generaly it runs 100 to 200 F higher than my 92 W250 Dodge CTD. These temps are taken 3" downstream from the turbo in both cases.
What am I towing? Right now it's a Venture Craft pop up travel trailer. I'm going to say not more than 800 lbs full. AS soon as I can get the trailer brake on I'm going to tow a 17' Casita. Is has a GVW of 3500 lbs and probably not more than 2900 lbs with all the stuff we carry.
Would like to take it out towing at least once a month.

·
Vendor
2,651 Posts
Fangoul, correct, use A/C system to cool inter/aftercooler, not use A/C as an inter/aftercooler as I wrote in my post. Asked this in another thread and didnt want to rewrite all over again, excuse the laziness. They are using A/C to cool intercoolers on Cobras for racing from what I understand but can still use A/C inside vehicle, must have some kind of diverter and ductwork. Was curious if hp drain would be worth lower EGTs, seems it wouldnt affect a diesel as much as a gasser.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fangoul, correct, use A/C system to cool inter/aftercooler, not use A/C as an inter/aftercooler as I wrote in my post. Asked this in another thread and didnt want to rewrite all over again, excuse the laziness. They are using A/C to cool intercoolers on Cobras for racing from what I understand but can still use A/C inside vehicle, must have some kind of diverter and ductwork. Was curious if hp drain would be worth lower EGTs, seems it wouldnt affect a diesel as much as a gasser.
Anybody serious about racing removes the A/C and all components..

-TJ

·
Registered
75 Posts
6200-6500lb 96 Chev K2500

Lots of boost and fuel. Fuel level not out of reach of VE engine.

I try to keep it under 1250 when running over 2300rpm. 1100 max at 1800rpm. 25-32psi boost.

Towed 14000 one time. Little slow on the hills but easy 60-65mph on the flats. That would be a 14K trailer hooked to a 6K truck. T300 bobcat and several buckets.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Towed 14000 one time. Little slow on the hills but easy 60-65mph on the flats. That would be a 14K trailer hooked to a 6K truck. T300 bobcat and several buckets.
Kool. Then if I buy the 3,200 lb. truck camper to go on the truck I can also tow my 5,000 boat behind it. Just finished putting E range tires under and have air bags. Just worried about my axle rating and whether I can help it by treating the wheel bearings with syntheic grease.

I promised to post how my boat tows with the turned up 4bta. Weather still has not cooperated here. Still plan on testing the towing. Have a nice sized hill that gave my one ton '91 Cummins trouble. That will be my benchmark to see how much better this engine is than my 6BTA was.

·
Vendor
2,651 Posts
Anybody serious about racing removes the A/C and all components..

-TJ
Sure is alot of 1000+hp daily drivers that have A/C.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Towing the boat

Just tested the truck with the 4,500# boat on the back end. I went up the hill that gave my one ton '91 Ram with Cummins a hard time. It run up with a lot more power. I even let it hang in overdrive 5th gear for quite a while. I shifted back to 4th gear about 8-10 seconds from hitting the top of the hill and held 60 mph the rest of the way up. It took about 30-40 seconds total to get from the bottom to the top of the hill.
The hill is an 18 degree incline. Not sure what that is in grade numbers.
The temperature outside was 70 F. The EGTs got up to 1325F. Boost hit 22 psi while in 5th gear.
The other nice thing was that I could just stay in 5th gear on the more gentle rolling hills while doing 55-60 mph and the EGTs were around 900F. I would guess that was more of a highway hill condition in my area of the country.
I am totally pleased. I wil able to report towing fuel mileage numbers in about a month.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Make sure you got good brakes too (and trailer brakes, where applicable), since most of our rigs are not necessarily built for towing
I installed hydroboost brakes and air bags about two years ago just because I use my truck more like a 3/4 ton and my trailer's surge brakes are meticulously maintained. I've been towing this boat for 13 years now. Thanks for the thoughtful concern though.

As for the concern for my EGT's this hill not in my usual route and I only wanted to test the truck's capability. I was only at 1325 F @ 65-70 MPH for about 5-10 seconds; not enough time to worry about the pistons IMO.
After that steep hill I ran up and down what I would consider a typical highway hill on my towing routes and only went up to 900 F at 65-70 mph.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts