Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good line on a 1kz-te...I have been brooding about this swap for months and have decided that the 3.9L both the isuzu and the 4bt are going to be cost prohibitive for me in the middle of the pacific and are going to require significant regearing and work to get into my truck. Therefore, I'm just gonna do a 1kz-te. I have gone around and priced the engine with multiple companies, including Shosin trade Corp. Bascially, does anyone have a reliable line first hand where they got their 1kz-te's that ran well and were in good shape. Any info would be great. thanks.

P.S. Pls don't flame me, I have done dozens of hours of research on multiple options and am just looking for someone with experience with sellers of JDM diesels. I don't want the common rail because its expensive/hard to fix I'm really looking for the 1kz any help would be great. Thank you. I need a good source!

·
Super Moderator
8,740 Posts
I can't help you with a source, but just be warned that early 1KZ-TE engines had head trouble. From about 2000 model they were sorted out.
Once the original head is replaced they seem to give no further trouble.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I heard about that, it seems like people just can keep the egt's down and then when the head blows they scratch their heads and say it was the engines fault. Simple solution, intercooler, pyro and a 5speed. I was gonna go with an isuzu 4bd1t and one actually popped up here in Hawaii yesterday but the guy wants 3000 for the motor and a 4l60e. I really wanna keep the stock R150f and transfer case in my truck so that I don't have to do driveline work so that would mean $1000 in adapters too...putting me to the price of the 1kzte anyway. I figure when I eventually have to sell the truck the toyota diesel in the toyota truck will fetch me a decent price versus a franken-adaptro setup with the 4bd1t...not to mention potential weight issues and needing a suspension lift and gearing to run properly in my truck. I currently have 4:30's I think and that won't fly paired with the rev range of the 4bd1t...I'm at 2500rpms in 5th gear at 50...sucks...

·
Super Moderator
8,740 Posts
Yeah, I heard about that, it seems like people just can keep the egt's down and then when the head blows they scratch their heads and say it was the engines fault. Simple solution, intercooler, pyro and a 5speed.
No, not at all.
Factory tune in toyota vehicles, most of them electronic control (hence the E in KZ-TE), some intercooled, some not, doesn't matter the early ones crack heads. Factor a head replacement into your budget.
Later heads were redesigned and hold up fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts