Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great site with tons of info! Been reading other sites about the swap for a long time, but much more specific info here!

I have been planning a conversion and wanted to make sure that what I am planning is feasible:

* 1983 FJ60
* 4BT -> ZF 5spd tranny -> NP205 -> Ford 9" centered rear axle
* SOA w/ 35" tires to clear engine

Questions:
1. How elusive are the adapters to go from the 4BT to a ford manual tranny? Do I have to buy a Ford van or can I buy the bellhousing later? Cost?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Most of the time they come with the sump in the rear, not in the front. But once in a while they are front sump, they can easily be flipped and you need to get a different oil pick up. I would not worry about it until you get an engine. If you do buy a 4BT, try to by one that came from a Ford van, then it will have the bolt pattern you need. It is not hard to come by the Ford pattern. The GM seem to be the most expensive...

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
You pretty much need at least 4" of lift for it. There is a good thread on forum.ih8mud.com about 4" lift versus doing a SOA and a 4BT...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks & NP205

Thanks for the input guys, helps to clear things up! I am glad to see that Ford isn't a concern to find.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great Idea!

Doing a similar swap. 83 FJ60, Frito Lay 4BT (engine manufactured 1990), chevy NV4500, Stock LC Splitcase, Stock LC Axles. SOA with 35's as well. Should be a fun project. I'll make my own build post someday. I swear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts