Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to start off i am completely new to the 4bt engine, but have had plans to do a 6bt buildup when i finally get out of college for a long time. I was planning to wait till the end of school because of the massive amount of fabrication i would need to do to my 93 toyota pickup. I now have a way to get a 4bt very cheaply. I know i will need to do a solid axle swap, which i planned to do anyways, and a bit of a suspension lift and maybe a body lift, but do you think i will have to do any major modifiactions to the firewall? Also when i have been planning out the 5.9 buildup I have been thinking i would just take the engine transmission, and all the necessary electronic pieces out of a salvaged ram. The 4bt i will be getting has none of the original wiring on it, just a bare long block. As i am brand new to this and way over my head I have no idea what i will need and where to get it. I am just a goof that is head over heels for the cummins b series engines, and am attempting to dive in headfirst. I know this is extremely general, and probably dumb question but where do i start?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just to start off i am completely new to the 4bt engine, but have had plans to do a 6bt buildup when i finally get out of college for a long time. I was planning to wait till the end of school because of the massive amount of fabrication i would need to do to my 93 toyota pickup. I now have a way to get a 4bt very cheaply. I know i will need to do a solid axle swap, which i planned to do anyways, and a bit of a suspension lift and maybe a body lift, but do you think i will have to do any major modifiactions to the firewall? Also when i have been planning out the 5.9 buildup I have been thinking i would just take the engine transmission, and all the necessary electronic pieces out of a salvaged ram. The 4bt i will be getting has none of the original wiring on it, just a bare long block. As i am brand new to this and way over my head I have no idea what i will need and where to get it. I am just a goof that is head over heels for the cummins b series engines, and am attempting to dive in headfirst. I know this is extremely general, and probably dumb question but where do i start?
When you say "bare long block", what do you mean? It has no injection pump, lines, injectors, etc.? Or is it a motor without accessories, and adapter plate? Does it have an Identification plate with a Cummins CPL number? Please give us a little more info, and then maybe we can help.
Welcome, and where in Cincinnati are you? I grew up in Mt. Healthy.
Bob B.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know too much about the engine, it is up in columbus I will be able to go and see it in a few days. It is not a bare long block, I do know that it has an injection pump, lines and injectors, an alternator, and a starter. It does not have a turbo, or any piping, it doesnot have an adapter plate. I am getting it as a government surplus engine if that helps. One of the big things I dont know is what kind of vehicle it came out of. I didnt even know the military even had any vehicles with 4bt's in them. The part number they are listing is 8909A210001. From the picture i have i cant see much on the identification plate because of a glare i can see a bunch of numbers but have no way of telling which number is which.
Oh and I live just south of winton woods, about a half a mile from Mt. Healthy, right off of Flemming road, so pretty close.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey if your up for a couple more hours of driving you could stop by my shop and get some pointers......heck I've even got a 6bt for a good deal. A Toyota is going to be my next project. They are awesome rigs. S.A.S. is a must on the newer ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is your shop at? I would love to learn anything any of you guys have to offer. What transmission setup are you going to use on the yota? Transfer case? Axles? I love my yota's fully boxed frame, and it's lack of bulk, otherwise i would do a 4 or 6bt swap on a military blazer or K-30. I think i might actually buy a military K-30 (1 1/4 ton) this summer and pull the axles springs and transfer case off of it sell the body, and maybe hold on to the engine and transmission for something else. I would like to use a manual transmission on my yota though. I am a big junkyard hound so I will hopefully find one on the cheap. Man I cant wait to get a cummins, I have been drooling over them for years. And finally it seems that i have found a semi economical way to do it. Hey maybe ill even throw a plow onto my pickup to help pay for the swap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got a picture of the identification plate on the 4bt I was going to buy. Turns out it isnt really a 4bt it is a 4b which explains why there is no turbo. I did a bunch of searching on the web and couldnt find anything about any 4b non turbo's. Has any one here heard of them? What were they used for? I am thinking the only difference is the pistons , no turbo obviously, no oil line for the turbo, and probably the injectors, and the pump are different. If anyone knows anything about them it would help me or not. I am trying to decide now if it worth buy now or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where is your shop at? I would love to learn anything any of you guys have to offer. What transmission setup are you going to use on the yota? Transfer case? Axles? I love my yota's fully boxed frame, and it's lack of bulk, otherwise i would do a 4 or 6bt swap on a military blazer or K-30. I think i might actually buy a military K-30 (1 1/4 ton) this summer and pull the axles springs and transfer case off of it sell the body, and maybe hold on to the engine and transmission for something else. I would like to use a manual transmission on my yota though. I am a big junkyard hound so I will hopefully find one on the cheap. Man I cant wait to get a cummins, I have been drooling over them for years. And finally it seems that i have found a semi economical way to do it. Hey maybe ill even throw a plow onto my pickup to help pay for the swap.
My shop is in Silver Lake, just south of Warsaw. I don't have a Yota yet....it's just on my list of things to build up. I think the factory axles could handle it, as far as tranny/t-case goes there are a few that would work well under it.
I think that you might want to look for a 4BT. I've got a few contacts for them at Cummins Cross Point in Fort Wayne if you want to check prices.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I finally got a picture of the identification plate on the 4bt I was going to buy. Turns out it isnt really a 4bt it is a 4b which explains why there is no turbo. I did a bunch of searching on the web and couldnt find anything about any 4b non turbo's. Has any one here heard of them? What were they used for? I am thinking the only difference is the pistons , no turbo obviously, no oil line for the turbo, and probably the injectors, and the pump are different. If anyone knows anything about them it would help me or not. I am trying to decide now if it worth buy now or not.
Hey Rustoy,
I would wait till I found a 4bt or 4bta that is complete and running. If you buy that 4b you'll end up having much more money in it to get it to 4bt specs. Most of those Gov liquidation engines are usually only core motors, needing a complete rebuild.:( Just my 2 cents worth of opinion here.
Bob B.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pics, I like how the white truck turns into a red truck halfway through. By the way my truck is a red 93 xtra cab pickup, the same thing as the one in the last half of the pics. Those pics got me really pumped up now i just need to find the right 4bt for the right price. I might have to wait till i sell my first toy though, a '73 cj5. Hopefully I will get more than enough from that to pay for the swap, solid axle swap and materials for a nice flat bed, but that is wishfull thinking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I keep going back and forth on weather or not i want to buy one of those 4b's off of govliquidation. On one hand after doing some more research on them, I definitely agree they will be costly to convert to a turbo, on the other, I am a poor college kid, and If i could even get a thoroughly thrashed p.o.s. i think i could really learn a lot from it, and maybe even slowly source parts for it. If I got a used running 4bt I would want to rebuild it anyways, and probably put a wastegated turbo on it, and maybe a different fuel pump, but I don't know. I guess if I can get one from that auction for under $150.00 it would be well worth the learning experience alone, and they are only about an hour and a half away from my house. Thanks for all of your input on the matter guys. I guess we will see...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts