Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Toy Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed 4X4 swapped out the 4.0 gasser with a 2012 Hilux 3.0 D4D Turbo diesel. Upgraded the turbo from the junk variable vane to a modern high flow Borg Werner waste gate turbo. Polished the flange, 3 inch exhaust with 2 in line high flow mufflers, large front mount intercooler. Chipped with UltraBoost chip with 3 modes. Factory, economy and performance. In the performance tune It has 240 HP 420 FP torque with 30 pounds boost. It makes so much power the 5 speed auto trans bangs so hard I am concerned it will break. I am going to tone down the boost to 25 psi and slightly reduce the rail pressure to avoid breaking the transmission. I average 27 mpg when cruising. Around 20 miles per gallon when hammering the boost consistently.
Other mods are second fuel tank 14 gallon, range is now 800+ miles. 2 inch lift toytech front shocks and Deaver leaf springs 3\4 ton. Tires are 32 inch. Trucks cruises at 10 pounds boost egt 800-900 90 miles per hour just a crack of throttle. I have a few videos of running on the highway at 90. Will upload a few other videos.

Video of truck here

another video here

·
Super Moderator
8,979 Posts
Nice one. How did you handle the electronics of the conversion?

You can pick up some turbo spool and drop EGT by giving the cone filter a cold air-feed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one. How did you handle the electronics of the conversion?

You can pick up some turbo spool and drop EGT by giving the cone filter a cold air-feed.
DieselToys in Texas has plug and play wire harnesses, handles swaps etc. I am currently working on a cold air intake. Needs to be fabricated as there is nothing available for this set up. Was having some limp mode issues due to pushing the rail pressure to high. Currently toning it down a little. Notice the video i have to back off the throttle to shift as the auto trans bangs very hard if I stay in the throttle. Strange the speedometer is reading 10mph lower than actual. I verified this with a gps. At 80 mph on the guage i am running 90 mph.

Video of gauges roll on throttle 40 to 90 mph

Video cruising at 90mph on Turnpike.

·
Registered
295 Posts
diesel toys will sell you swap parts? Several years back I checked into them and they would only sell a complete kit or install themselves. Very nice though. You could use a better filter setup for sure as I can see that being a big restriction even at low revs. Do you have the diesel torque converter also?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
diesel toys will sell you swap parts? Several years back I checked into them and they would only sell a complete kit or install themselves. Very nice though. You could use a better filter setup for sure as I can see that being a big restriction even at low revs. Do you have the diesel torque converter also?
Good morning. They used to sell parts but he stopped as he spent to much time getting e mails and phone calls answering questions. You can buy full half cuts in Miami there are several yards that have imported complete Hilux diesel trucks. My truck is still a work in process. I am currently working on a cool air intake and dialing in the the tune.
Will upload more videos when I have the airbox fabricated and installed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good morning. They used to sell parts but he stopped as he spent to much time getting e mails and phone calls answering questions. You can buy full half cuts in Miami there are several yards that have imported complete Hilux diesel trucks. My truck is still a work in process. I am currently working on a cool air intake and dialing in the the tune.
Will upload more videos when I have the airbox fabricated and installed.
The trans is the original gas engine 5 speed. I need to look into getting a prado diesel 5 speed torque converter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The trans is the original gas engine 5 speed. I need to look into getting a prado diesel 5 speed torque converter.
Im almost positive the converter will help they are stalled very different and the lock up is stronger if i remember right.

I hear ya on the work in progress. It took me a few months to iron out stuff on my swap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, I'm trying to do the same thing with my '09 standard V6 Taco.

Ordered my engine already :)

Did you make custom engine mounts? Transmission bolted right?
With what year of engine did you start with (heard '05+ has 32 bit ECU but may have immobilizer)?

I'll have a ton of questions!!

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts