Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Ford E-350 bread van I have decided to use for my Scout swap. It has a 4bt with a 4 speed tranny. (I decided I better be very budget minded or my wife will kill me. I went a bit overboard on my 6Bt conversion in my Suburban so she is a tad hostile, and I knew if I went with a 6bt in the Scout I would end up in hot water.) Reading these boards it appears that my bread van has a T-19 tranny. Is this true? How would this tranny vary from the tranny in my diesel Scout? Is it possible that I can trade out parts between the two tranny's and end up with a workable tranny? With 31's and 3.73 rear end what will my speed be at 2500 RPM's.

Also if I were to spend more money what other options would I consider. I was told an NV4500 from behind a Dodge Cummins would bolt right up and I could find a used bell housing cheap and easy. I am wondering what other Ford trannies would bolt up? I really appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check out the 4BT Swaps Topic Index and then scroll down to the trans section. There is a lot of good info on this site. My E250 has the close ratio T19 and its a good trans but if you are going to get the RPMs down where they need to be for good economy you need to go with a overdrive trans like a ZF or a M5R2 from behind a Ford 300 6 cly or 302 V8 both used in the F150 & 250 P.U. Im putting my 4BT in a 64 IHC C900 P.U. But I have a little more support from my wife as she has been after me for years to restore this old PU. Its not much bigger than your Scout, just 107in WB. Very straight little truck. I am looking for a trans at my local PullaPart. They charge $125.00 for a 5 speed trans regardless of type. I also have a friend looking for one that lives up north were cars rust out much faster and mechanical parts are much cheaper. Hope this info helps out in the budget dept.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts