Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i thinking i am going to get the 4l80e transmission cuase i have read over what everyone wrote about it and i feel like its the right choice. Now my question is what transfer case to use. I really like the Altas 2 but that kind of pricey and plus i don't know if it will bolt up to it and work. What are you guys using behind you transmission?

·
Registered
800 Posts
i dont think double reduction, or atlas cases are needed.

i ran 4.56 gears, np205 (1.98:1) and an nv4500 in the last truck. never, ever used 1st gear low offroad.

this time, im running 4.88 gears, np241 (2.72:1) , 4l80e.

both are on 38.6 tires.

i got my front and rear shafts in the mail ,along with the steering column today. i think i should be able to drive it in the next day or so.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What is your vehicle/application? For larger stuff I'd go NP205/LoMax/Atlas. Smaller stuff - Dana 300/20 depending on which side the differential is located. I'm preferential to gear driven cases.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a 1970 bronco. Right know i have a dana 20 in need of a major rebuild.
No sure if i want to use it or not. I really have no clue which transfercase i want to use. What are the ups and downs of the dana 20 and the np 205? Or any other transfer case. Which ones should i stay away from?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think length is going to be the major issue in an EB because of the extremely short wheelbase. It's not as bad as a CJ5, but still pretty short. I'd stick with the dana 20 unless you had some need for extreme gear reduction (rock crawling, etc.) A rebuild kit should be < $200.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I was planning on running an NP233 behind my 4L80E, but the 500 dollar tag on the adapters to run it are swaying me towards an NP241, if i can find one cheap enough. PATC has the adapters to run the NP233 on their site, it's in their 700r4-4L80E upgrade section.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm adapting a 203 doubler to my 4L80e using the 4x4 adapter that came with the tranny. I have a little clearancing to do on the tranny output shaft and the bearing retainer bolts on the 203 and then drilling/tapping the new pattern on the 203 but it won't be hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts