Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still in the planning stage of a 4bt into my 1990 Grand Wagoneer. I read on another site the Dodge A518/47rh has a 23 spline output shaft. The np229 that is stock on my wagoneer, has a 23 spline input. The Author also said the np229 has the same bolt pattern, and will bolt up to the Dodge Transmission. My questions are: Is this information correct?, and is the np229 heavy enough for this application, or would I be better off looking at a 231/241 transfer case?
thanks in advance, CJ

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My guess is that the issue would be tcase input length, as long as it is in fact 23 spline. There are different length 23 spline puts.

231's are a dime a dozen if you need one too. is the 229 quadratrac or whatever?

·
Registered
14 Posts
231 vs 229

I take the 231 over the 229, but if you want a NP229 I give you a spare. You pick up of course.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer, but i still have the 727/np229 in my wagoneer. I spoke with a cummins mechanic who acted as if my trans. and t-case would work with the correct adapter plate, and changing the torque converter. he also added that he had not done a repower on a FSJ, however he would have to see it to be sure. I have read so much lately, I'm still gathering info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts