Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-NP-205-Transfer-Case_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem350143863840QQitemZ350143863840QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
would this fit?

what other cases would fit?

or is the only case that would bolt up to the getrag the 205 with the 29 spline input from a dodge?

edit: just did some researching. getrag has 6 bolt circular pattern. is this the same pattern as the 86-up chevy cases?\

since the dodge 29spline 205 seems to be impossible to find, seems like it'd be easier if one of those other cases would bolt up, then just swap the input shafts.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
23 spline fits the Dodge automatics, 727, 518, 47RH.
29 spline fits the Dodge manuals, Getrag G360, NV4500, & NV5600.
It generally costs more to change the input shaft in the 205 from 23 spline to 29 spline than what it initially costs to buy the correct transfer case.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Mopar and Ford 6 bolt are the same pattern/clocking. The GM pattern is the same, but it's clocked differently. GM is nearly an even split between the Ford/Mopar pattern.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
23 spline fits the Dodge automatics, 727, 518, 47RH.
29 spline fits the Dodge manuals, Getrag G360, NV4500, & NV5600.
It generally costs more to change the input shaft in the 205 from 23 spline to 29 spline than what it initially costs to buy the correct transfer case.
becuase the case would have to be machined out to fit the bigger shaft right?

Mopar and Ford 6 bolt are the same pattern/clocking. The GM pattern is the same, but it's clocked differently. GM is nearly an even split between the Ford/Mopar pattern.

so the ford 6 bolt is the same, but they're all driver side drop right?
and what about shaft mate-up on those??

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ok thanks.

anybody know about the shaft mate-up of the ford 205 with the tranny? and they're driver side drop right?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Ford 205's use a female input. Dodge 205's use a male input with a coupler and have an iron adapter.

You can use an adapter from AA to bolt it right up or you can put the dodge input in the ford case and drill the ford case to accept the dodge adapter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ford 205's use a female input. Dodge 205's use a male input with a coupler and have an iron adapter.

You can use an adapter from AA to bolt it right up or you can put the dodge input in the ford case and drill the ford case to accept the dodge adapter.

awsome thanks for all the help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/np205-dodge-divorce-transfer-case-jeep-rock-crawler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46104QQihZ010QQitemZ200291266789QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

what about this idea?
a divorced case. couldn't i just connect the t-case to the u-joint on the rear of my 2wd tranny without an intermediate shaft?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just did a divorce mount. I believe you really do need an intermediate shaft with a ujoint at each end to allow for the difference in motion between the tranny/engine combo, and the t-case. without the two ujoints you may experience premature shaft and seal wear on the transfercase. I also allowed for a little bit of a slip joint too. If you go off road, you'd be amazed at how things move around on the trail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did a divorce mount. I believe you really do need an intermediate shaft with a ujoint at each end to allow for the difference in motion between the tranny/engine combo, and the t-case. without the two ujoints you may experience premature shaft and seal wear on the transfercase. I also allowed for a little bit of a slip joint too. If you go off road, you'd be amazed at how things move around on the trail.

yea my brother did a divorced setup on his half ton dodge with an intermediate shaft. at first he tried just a short shaft (3-4inches) but with the way the tranny torqued up, it threw the shaft out of line causing the u joints to wobble/vibrate. it wasn't until he got a longer shaft (i havn't seen it yet but i'm guessing about a foot long) that he got rid of the wobble/vibration because the longer shaft decreased the number of degrees that the shaft would get torqued out of line. i was just wondering about a direct mate up divorced set up. but i see what you mean. thanks.

i whould get rid of the getrag, the 2-3 split sucks, this is why first gen dodges want the nv4500. Dave

i thought of this. and i've done my fair share of research. every tranny has its pros and cons. the getrag should work just fine for me though. thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
im installing a divorced 205 getrag 5spd 6bt in my 82 K30... i dont see why it wont work fine.. it should be easier to work on to since you can drop the tranny and leave in the tcase... just my 2cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
true, i'm just scared of the problems my brother had and the money sunk trying to get that intermediate to stop vibrating. i have sourced a 4wd getrag with the correct 205 on it.....but its across the country from me. i'm scared to even get a shipping quote.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
i whould get rid of the getrag, the 2-3 split sucks, this is why first gen dodges want the nv4500. Dave

The Getrag and NV4500 have the same exact 2-3 split... Your wrong, and I'll be honest and say straight up I'm biased. FWIW Chrysler made the move to the NV4500 with a smaller, weaker clutch assy because of production costs. After five years of R&D they figured out what they could get thru warranty and cheapened up. That's it.

The NV4500 was used in gas vehicles before there was ever a Cummins engine option, the reason they didn't use them was because they were not as good as the Getrag.

The NV4500 has plenty of problems. 5th gear issues...and to fix that for real and for good is costly. Otherwise you can put it together if it isn't a lost cause and half-assed fix it like most people do. Weld the nut...

Current Production NV4500 Gear Ratios

1st....................................5.61:1
2nd...................................3.04:1
3rd....................................1.67:1
4th....................................1.00:1
5th.......................................75:1
Reverse.............................5.04:1

Getrag G360 Gear Ratios

1st.........................................5.53:1
2nd........................................3.04:1
3rd.........................................1:67:1
4th.........................................1.00:1
5th............................................77: 1
Reverse..................................5.61:1

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread is old but I've got a question that is related. Can you install an np205 passenger side drop to a getrag without going divorced?

·
Vendor
2,599 Posts
With the mating input shafts, notching for shift rail and pull alignment dowel I think so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you mean that one of the alignment dowels on the getrag would have to be pulled. Do you know anyone who put a getrag in a chevy and not changed front axle?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Bumping a dinosaur :)

I'm still looking for a truck with a driver drop bolted to the getrag and cleared the slave with their driveshaft! It would be nice to see before buying the 23/29 spline coupler

Thanks everyone

Jake

1 - 20 of 20 Posts