Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from garage, ZF bolted to the 4BT, next have to choose the transfer case I have at my beckon call 3 to choose from, a 205 cast Iron gear to gear heavy as an anchor and will never break with the 4BT turning it. Next is the Org to the truck and parts truck a large alum case with bolted shaft flanges front and rear. Rounded case halves with lots of ribbing. Last is the org to the ZF a smaller alum. case the lightest by far, it has a bolted front shaft flange and a rear shaft slip joint. I have all the Ford linkage to work with this case but know nothing about it, It is a BW for sure it does have a tag but I forgot to right down the numbers. What do ya think, currebtly I am leaning to the org to the ZF just for ease of installation and no fab work for linkage and cross members.

Second, my ZF has a 5.something to one low and the .76 OD this is considered the long ratio? I love the real low 1st, and can,t waite to see the crawl speed in low low with the 4:10s

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Ford used 2 cases for the most part- the 1345 which is an absolute pile of junk and later on switched entirely to the 1356. The 1356 is very tough and definitely the way to go if you want a chain driven case. Both the 1345 and 1356 came in slip and bolt yoke configurations. Whichever you choose be sure it has a speedo connection, the '92 and newer ones do not.

I would take the 205 over all of them, but that's just me. They all bolt up, just a little notch for the 205.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 1345 is which one do you think the one from the earlier trucks 85 and 86? it is the larger of the two? The org x case stood up to a 502 putting out 650hp verified by dyno, pulling sleds! I know that just before I tore it down though the x case would howl when crusing. I don't thiink I will need the 205 plus its extra wieght, but an still considering all three. Thanks for the info, what was the main problems w/ the 1345? The smaller case has the speedo cable hole.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The 1345 has a bronze bushing for an input bearing/thrust. It likes to eat itself and stick you in nuetral in the middle of nowhere.

They have tags on them that say what they are, in addition, the 1345 has little 1/4" or so drain and fill plugs while the 1356 has 1/2" plugs. It's use and poor maintenance that kills them, not power.

The 205 weighs what? 30 pounds more? Seams strange if you already have one laying around not to use it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 205 weighs at lest 50 to 100 lbs. more then the smaller transfer case, and there is this little wager my father and I have, He says that when finished my dump will out weigh his by at least 1000 lbs. Considering his tips the scales at 6900 to 7000 I have 1000 lbs to play with, but the steel bed and under bed hoist have taken all the extra weight, and with the local law enforcement crackin down on overloaded 1 tons I would like to keep the truck legal to haul at least 2 and 1/2 tons. I have lofty expectations but with the lighter ZF (over the C6) and now mabey this lighter transfer I will probably save 100 to 150 lbs. each pound counts for MPG increases and GVW. Thanx for the tech on the other case, I think I have conviced myself to use the case that I got with the ZF for now, if I experience problems in the future I can always replace with on of the other cases if I don't sell them first. Thanx again.

Kendall

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 205 is great but with the divorsed case you add another week link, with two u joints!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tell your Dad he's probably right, lose the bet, and put a real transfer case in it. The 205 is one of the few things on your truck that will give you a-little piece of mind (bullit proof, unbreakable, indestuctable, never ever a concern).
Screw the extra weight. You or that 4bt won't ever notice any kind of a measurable difference in mpg or performance.
If you got the time and money to monkey around with less than the best and haven't got a problem with redoing it all later to make it right, by all means, stuff one of those alulamum jobies in it. I wouldn't get rid of the 205 though, you'll probably need it (more likely sooner than you would think and at the worst possible time) at some point in the future.
Didn't your Dad ever tell you to do it right the first time?

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts