Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals!

Something has come up in reading several threads that I thought I should say something about. This is a great resource that Andre has put up with the help of others. The people reading range in experience from degreed mechanical engineers specializing in diesel engine technologies to folks who have seen these things called screwdrivers but have never actually handled one.

Sometimes we/you/I can get carried away and forget how easily confusing this stuff is. Even simple stuff like 4BT or 4BDT, VE or VE? One's a Cummins, the other isn't, and one's a Bosch fuel injection pump and the other speaks of Volumetric Efficiency. I know we're not all given to be teachers for others but in posts it would be nice to give a breakdown in the first post, then everyone reading the abbreviations following in the next posts is still on the same page.

Example: "The VE on this engine really stinks and here's what you should do..." Now one guy is going to understand that the reference is to Volumetric Efficiency, but another is going to get the impression that Bosch VE pumps stink. Solution: "The VE [Volumetric Efficency] on this engine stinks and here's what you should do..." Now every following post regarding VE can use the intials because we all know what they stand for.

I respectfully request that where possible and when we remember that we try to make it very clear what something refers to. On a complicated subject it would be nice to have extra info as well, just to help those that are entirely new to this to understand more of what's posted.

I know that several of my posts have been confusing to others and will try to clean up my own act as well.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Toolman looks at ground..grunts..gets red face...and know JimmiD is talking about him..:(

;) :happyfinger: ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree Jimmie. With my limited mentality, the best description of myself would be to say that I have a tablet of "Big Chief" and some crayons in my head. As I read something, hopefully I will end up with a cartoon that I can understand. It can be aggravating to just have a page full of scribble.:rasta:
Good point JimmieD, Carl

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HAH! But what's worst is to read one of my own posts and say, "Oh, NOOOoooh, did I actually write that!? What the heck did I mean...?" I get baffled by my own BS too!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hehe, Exactly! Of coarse in my case, not only is my mind a limited instrument but I have terrible typing skills and only nine fingers so there is no program to "fix" me.
Carl

·
Registered
335 Posts
Only nine fingers.... I am going to get the popcorn right now, cause I have to hear this.:grinpimp:

I will even get my big chief tablet to take some notes!

·
Registered
225 Posts
26 years ago, a small lapse of attn allowed a milling machine to remove one finger (it wanted more but I was paying attn buy then). What part of OK are you from toolman, I have some family there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Oologah... ts about 30 miles north of Tulsa.

You were paying attention by then.. :grinpimp: :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, not that close then. Dads family- Antlers. Moms family- Smithville.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
JimmieD -

Gotta agree. While I can usually "dummy it out" from the context of the post what someone is talking about, defining one's terms / acronyms up front would help. And I've probably not followed that advice a few times, myself..

Sort of like the old saying: "Standards are wonderful! There are so many to choose from!"

And let's not get me started on Punctuation, Spelling, and Caps Lock. ... Happy Place ... Happy Place ...

26 years ago, a small lapse of attn allowed a milling machine to remove one finger (it wanted more but I was paying attn buy then).
I was going to make a Frodo comment, but I'm trying to break that hobbit.. :rasta:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was going to make a Frodo comment, but I'm trying to break that hobbit.. :rasta:[/QUOTE]

So bad...so, so bad :puke: :grinpimp:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts