Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is not the same old question:

I have been told and it makes logical sense that the motor mounts and the transmission mounts should be made of similar material. Reasoning would be that hard tranny mounts and soft motor mounts could crack your tranny casing or mounts.

I have also been told to replace all your mounts at the same time, do not mix old and new.

I could see where a 3 point mounting would be okay mixing mounts but in a 4x4 like my K20 I have mounting points on the transfercase adapter.

BIG QUESTION - has anyone had a problem mixing and matching or has anyone tried say the fluid filled P van mounts for a tranny mount?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have replaced mounts as they go bad without touching the others. I really think it is a non-issue and I am wondering who first thought of that.

In race cars, you can have two solid engine mounts but you have to have some "give" somewhere, so you would never use a solid trans mount.

Because of the axis of engine rotation/vibration....you can safely use two fluid motor mounts and a single, "center located" rubber trans mount without problems. If you place mounts off on each side of the transfer case, they would need to be able to handle more movement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts