Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've got a few questions that I hope someone can help me out with.

A few months back, I acquired a 4bt engine (the whole van actually). I'm swapping this into my 85 F-150. The engine came with a th400 2wd trans. What I'm wanting to use is a 4L80e (to retain the overdrive like I already have in my ford), but I also need to beef up the tcase as well. I was thinking of using the np241. Now back through the 90's, this combination was used on both GM and Chevy trucks/suburbans (I believe). Yet I'm still having problems obtaining these components from at least one trany company.

First:
Has anyone here heard of and have used Monster Transmissions before? I came across them while searching for where I could buy these components. I liked that they offer a 3 year warranty as well.

But I have been having some problems with them that has now taken 2 months to deal with. I've got most of it all figured out, but they are asking for an assembly number for the tcase, so that they can get match up the correct input shaft.

Second:
So if anyone has the same mid 90's trans/tcase set up, it would be most helpful if you could provide the assembly number?

Third:
What should the stall speed of the torque converter be for this engine/trans combo? I know lower is better. Monster Trans has a 1300-1600 stall converter. Just wondering if this is low enough?

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, I can't give you an assy number, but I will gie you one solid piece of advice. If your transmission shop doesn't know what input(32 spline) mates a 241 to a 4L80, you should really find another transmission shop.

Doesn't sound like they are exacty experts in the field.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
We have a classified section and this isn't it!

Just another friendly reminder - we don't allow the forums to be used for buying and selling unless you are a registered “Red Star Vendor.” Use the classifieds section and use the PM system to communicate about the transaction.

To the guys whose posts aren't missing - thanks for following the rules. This post wasn't aimed at you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
transmission

If you have to have an automatic you could use a gm such as a 700R4 or dodge 47rh. The problem is that the parts needed to run a Ford auto are basically not available. Also if you get an electronic transmission you will need a stand alone computer.

The only Fords with a B series Cummins I ever saw with an automatic were bigger trucks with SAE bells and Allison transmissions.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
go manual trany. You can use all ford parts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I think I'm pretty much done with this tranny company. As far as using or not using chevy components, well, since my bt already has the chevy adapter on it, I was just planning on using a chevy trans, no sense getting a new adapter if I have to get a new trans and tcase anyways. It shouldn't be too hard to mount this all up, as long as I can first get the parts...And as for going manual, well it has its pros and cons, for this rig and for how I intend to use it, I'd like to keep it auto.

But again, thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Transfer case express TCE,may be able to help on the transfer case that would work for you.I recieved a great deal of help selecting one for one of my projects.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank all for your inputs, I had come across TCE before, before I needed the info that started this post. Good news, I was able to pick up a nice lightly used 4l80e/np241 this past weekend, so now I can finally get on with my build. Look for a new posting as I convert my 85 F-150 starting next week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts