Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened, leaks about 1 (one) quart of trans fluid every five (5) minutes, so I have to drop the trans and figure out what has happened.
Shifts fine when full.

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,994 Posts
Interesting. Poor quality seals?
I say that because I've have a simular problem with my 46RH (with new seals) with less than an hour of run time on the test stand. It's been constantly wet at the bottom of the bell housing.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Poor quality seals?
I say that because I've have a simular problem with my 46RH (with new seals) with less than an hour of run time on the test stand. It's been constantly wet at the bottom of the bell housing.
Perhaps, even though I paid good money for parts and seals.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you replace the front pump bushing?
Yep, the trans leaks around 1+ quarts every 10 minutes...I'm holding off dropping the trans for now, as I have just moved.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I now suspect, the transmission pump I had installed in my build, has gears for a gas application, my bad because I never really checked the pump internals...when you get old you can get some-timer's, but never ever forget the old ladies name, that is dangerous.

Reactions: barlow

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,994 Posts
I now suspect, the transmission pump I had installed in my build, has gears for a gas application, my bad because I never really checked the pump internals...when you get old you can get some-timer's, but never ever forget the old ladies name, that is dangerous.
The easiest way to identify the gears sets is the drive tangs. Diesel tangs are more robust.

Attachments

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The easiest way to identify the gears sets is the drive tangs. Diesel tangs are more robust.
Yes, the diesel version, pumps more fluid at lower RPM, gas version in a known issue in diesel applications...however, I can blame no one but me, if this is the issue...little else would make sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts